Will Me Of 6'2-3" Fit In A Fhc Elan S4?

PostPost by: thor » Sat May 28, 2005 1:49 pm

I'm about 6'2"..
have been looking at +2S's, but I do love the little Elan too. But I am worried that I won't fit, and my size 10's will have problems with the dinky pedals...
I've had a GT6 before, and that was a veeeeery tight squeeze.

Any advice here?

Cheers,
Thor
Thor Svaboe
1973 +2S130/5 white/silver

http://thorsvaboe.googlepages.com
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Sat May 28, 2005 3:15 pm

My 6' 2" frame with size 10 feet (with racing boots on) weighing around 100 kg fits a Sprint DHC no problem as long as the hood is down. Hood up is "interesting" and has led to one or two split trouser moments.

The car was designed around 1960's sized people and if you were ACBC's size (5ft 7"?) then it fits like a glove. Anything bigger, or indeed smaller might be a problem. Only way to find out for sure is to jump in one and find out.
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Sat May 28, 2005 5:05 pm

For those who are tall, the elans has two seat bolt down points. Make sure it is on the rear setting. In that setting the seat is more reclined for your needed head room and gives you much more leg room. In the front setting the seat is closer to steering and more upright. All part of the engineering. I know owners that are 6 foot + and do fine. Hope that helps.
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Dorsal Fin » Sat May 28, 2005 7:38 pm

I'm 6'3", size 11 feet, and weight about 14st. I've had Elan FHC's, DHC's, +2's, 7's, never a problem. The only problem was a S2 Europa, TC's are OK.

Simple answer, just go and buy one B)
Dorsal Fin
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat May 28, 2005 10:20 pm

getting in isn't the problem----at 65 getting out draws a crowd---especially when I wear a kilt :rolleyes: ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DrEntropy » Sun May 29, 2005 12:44 pm

Can't recall the author, but "Back in the Day" one of the US car mags' testers (Peter Egan is the most likely candidate, methinks) wrote that you don't "get into" a Lotus but rather "put it on, like a pair of pantyhose." I'm ~only~ 5'10" and 150, so am the guy the car was "averaged" for and have NO prob with it. Have known a few 6'+ fellas who could wear one without problems as well. The pedal proximity issue is likely the only "learning curve" to overcome. Pedal spacing may be a bit close for size 10's... but look at it like this: Heel-and-toe is accomplished by just "rolling" your right foot slightly... no ungainly ankle twisting likely to occur ;}

"Grab an' Growl"!! Humans can adapt to durned near anything when the motivation is there!
Dr E--
mhm 17x1
'67 S-3 DHC
'69 +2
'64 MGB
'78 Alfa Spider
'84 300D Turbo
DrEntropy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Sun May 29, 2005 4:57 pm

There's a trick to entering and exiting a Lotus or Corvette for the big guys. When getting in first sitdown on the rocker panel and duck under the top. Then prop your elbow on the center console and slide into the seat. Lastly swing your legs in. Exiting is the exact reverse procedure by first swinging out your legs. You can do this without exposing yourself or looking awkward.

The Elan pedal area is huge. Try driving Super7 or even better a Pantera. The Pantera I had to drive with just my socks on with my size 13s.
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt7c » Mon May 30, 2005 8:54 am

I have yet to master a method of getting into my S2 with the hood up, without scrapping my head on the cant rails...although that's because I only remember about the cant rails when they're scalping me :P A friend of mine was about 6' 4" and his method of mounting any car was to go in head first - looked bizarre but worked for him.

Hood down, is easy. I tend to just drop out the right leg and simply stand straight up, with left leg still in the car. Much more elegant than swivelling on yer bum then hauling yerself outward. :blink:
1965 Elan S2
Matt7c
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Mon May 30, 2005 6:22 pm

As a coupe driver,,, sit your butt in first while ducking your head and swing your legs in. Getting out!! I swing my legs out and use both elbows on both sides of the door opening, as leverage, and stand up!! It saves my old knees. Foot petals are not a problem after you get the feel for them and your brain remembers the location.

67 elan S3 coupe
36/5785
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: