New member, new Elan S2

PostPost by: ElanSeries2 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:40 pm

Hi guys

Some pics of my new (to me) Elan, acquired this summer, but only recently installed in the garage (pending rotoflex replacement and rollcage installation).

Can anyone else remember feeling like this on the day they picked their car up?

There are loads of bits that have been changed over the years - rear lights are the first culprits... Anyone with a set just lying around?!!

But I'm still over the moon!

Greg
Attachments
Elan nearside front 3-4 PM compressed.JPG and
I always wanted one of these on my drive
Elan rear at home compressed.JPG and
Rear lights fail the originality test
Me and the Elan at PM compressed.JPG and
After seeing the car for the first time, Greg suspects he's been sold a 7/8th scale model
1965 Elan S2
1972 Elan +2S 130
ElanSeries2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:50 pm

Looks like an S3 with S4 rear lights :?
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElanSeries2 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:50 pm

Nah, an S2 - the bootlid is set in, battery behind the seat, pull-down windows, angle rather than a curve on the door, and I've checked on the chassis number... Definitely an S2! But I think the previous owner fancied a Sprint! :shock: Somehow the two-tone paint doesn't work on the early car, I don't think!
1965 Elan S2
1972 Elan +2S 130
ElanSeries2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:14 pm

Hi Greg

Looks much better than you described it to me! Well the paint does anyway (maybe not the colour scheme) and I know that a nice topcoat can hide all sorts of nasties.

Yes I still remeber that oooohh feeling when I picked the car up, same feeling I had with the RD500 and 750turbo (bikes I'm afraid) they've gone, but car's still here.

Looks a nice '66. good luck and keep us up to date.

Just looked thru the Duncan Wherret Osprey series book and looks like you've a very late S2, black rim dials with holey-not slot-steering wheel, ie bits of S3 on S2 - typical Lotus fashion - blend the parts to adjoining series.

I like the hubcaps.
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:35 am

I think you have one of those rare S2 cars, Greg. It's not mint restored and it's not a pretend racer and it's not a basket case. And it's on the road!

It won't take too much to put the bodywork back to original, if that's what you want. Any idea of the original colour? Hopefully the moudings that have been put on to take the S4 rear lights have just been 'stuck' on. The S2 and S3 just had a flat panel where the lights are mounted, with 2 holes per light for the back of the bulb fixings. I'm sure that you know that the rear lights are the same as the S3, and Vauxhall Victor from about 1963. They come up on eBay quite often, with a reasonable pair being ?80, and a mint new-old-stock pair about ?200 ish. You'll get that back by selling on the S4 lights.

The last S2 was 26/5810, and I guess yours must be quite a late one.

If you're feeling a bit flush, or want an early Christmas present, there is an original woodrim steering wheel on eBay right now.. If the one on your car is a Chapman signed wheel (from a late S3 / S4 / Sprint) then selling that will nearly pay for the woodrim.

Any photos of the engine bay / interior?

Have you bought Brian Bucklands book on Elan restoration yet? If not...another Chistmas present. Lots of pics of original S2 bits.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:18 pm

:D hey - another two tone S2 in the family! (I have powder blue - white and silver trim). Though wrong in the first place - I found out my car carried two tone colours for almost all its life: first racing green over white, then grass green white, later yellow white, dark metallic blue white, sky blue white and now powder blue white. The original Lotus colour was racing green - so say the Lotus records. Right under the racing green I found white :shock: .
There were spray shades inside the door under the lock plates. right on the untouched fibre glass - chipped off as they came loose. White towards body, covered with racing green... No signs of paint removing inside door.

So in a way - the two tone colour is "correct" and looks good. Yes, and to agree to Mark - its on the road. (I did 1200 miles this year though weather was very bad)
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ElanSeries2 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:51 pm

Hello all!

Thanks for all the suggestions and help so far. I thought I'd post some more details, which might help you guys to help me work out roughly what was original... The chassis number is 26/5010, which would make it a middle-S2 car from late 1965, I think (with S2 being any 26/drop-head with a chassis number between 3901 and 5810). It was exported to Holland, apparently, in 1971, and only just reimported. I don't know the original registration number, I'm afraid (the factory archivist couldn't give me many details at all, apart from the first owner and the first registration date).

I've heard about the overlap between the different models (and parts from one type ending up on another) but with mine being mid-S2, I wasn't expecting the drilled steering wheel! Can anybody confirm this?

I'm currently hunting for a set of Vauxhall Victor rear lights - perhaps I should stick up a wanted ad here? I'm also looking for a pair of the courtesy lights/rear number plate lights (which I gather are the same thing)? The rear one will stop me getting through the MoT if I can't get one soon...

The interior is carpeted currently, so I'm on the lookout for a set of the rubber mats, and the seats are a right mess - velour centre panels and the lower runner has rotted out. I was thinking of getting a local engineering shop to remake the runners, and then getting the seats retrimmed. I was thinking leather, as I'm intending to use the car come rain or shine, and the leather will hopefully last a bit better.

As you can see from the photo, I'm just fitting a TTR rollcage, which is going to mean a few little changes (battery, sill trims).

I'll quit gassing for a bit, and I'll get a few more photos up of all the little problems soon...

Greg
1965 Elan S2
1972 Elan +2S 130
ElanSeries2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:37 pm

The steering wheel with holes didn't come in until late S3, so all S1 and S2 cars had the woodrim, along with many of the S3s. My S3 is May 67, and that has a wheel with spokes like the woodrim, but it's leather covered...something that the S/E had for a while. So you need a woodrim!

There's a company called JAE in California who do the original pattern 'elephant skin' rubber carpets, and do the original door trims and bits and pieces. I believe they are the only suppliers of this now. Dave Bean, also in California, are agents for their bits, or you can buy direct.

If you want original pattern seat covers, which are different to the S3 / S4 pattern, try Sue Miller. If she doesn't have them, she'll know who will. They will last 30 years if looked after...should see you OK, and they'll look original.

The light that goes on the dash is the same as the rear numberplate light, and the same as the S3 Coupe interior light. Hard to get hold of, but they do come up from time to time. It looks like you have one S3 / S4 numberplate light fitted, albeit in the correct place for the S2 light! The S2 did only have the one numberplate light; the S3 / S4 had 2 lights.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElanSeries2 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:23 pm

Thanks, Mark!

I'll get onto JAE and see if I can get a mat kit, seeing as the carpet is pretty 'orrible. I'll also drop Sue Miller a line about the seats, although I've noticed/been recommended a couple of places that could retrim my seats. Has anyone had S1/S2 seats retrimmed? Can anyone recommend?

As far as the wheel, I thought as much. I've seen the one on ebay, but at ?250, reserve not met, it seems a bit steep! Len Chandler is looking for an S2 wheel for me, but he suggests the wheel I have is worth about ?100 - there's a bit of a gap!

The numberplate light fitted is duff - no idea how it scraped its MoT! I'll keep my eyes open...

As far as original colour, I don't know - where would you look to try to figure it out? The rear light mouldings have, unfortunately, been properly bonded on (by cutting out the area behind). At some point, once I've got some new lights, I'll have to bite the bullet and start cutting glassfibre! :shock:

Anyway, more pics tomorrow, I promise!

Greg
1965 Elan S2
1972 Elan +2S 130
ElanSeries2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:37 pm

ElanSeries2 wrote:The chassis number is 26/5010, which would make it a middle-S2 car from late 1965, I think (with S2 being any 26/drop-head with a chassis number between 3901 and 5810).

According to the list available at www.sportscarworld.com, 26/5010 was "built/invoiced" April 12 '66. The serial numbers around it are dated mostly in Oct. '65, so your car may have spent some time at the factory (getting a special paint job and rear lights and carpet??) before it was exported.

With regard to new wrinkled-rubber and seat covers: I installed JAE's rubber skin. The original was a very thin rubber sheet into which wrinkles had somehow been introduced. The JAE replacement is a thicker sheet, flat on the back and with the wrinkles molded onto the front. As a result it is heavier and less flexible than the original. You can still get a satisfactory job but it takes some patience.

I also got some very nice replacement seat covers. I got them through Don Tingle (no longer in business) and he didn't tell me where he sourced them. ("Famous Frank" perhaps?) I cut new foam and put the covers on myself - I would have it done professionally (or have the seats redone in leather) if I were to do it again.

Good luck with your project!
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:40 pm

Greg

Nice looking car, lucky you!
Just wanted to add my two pennies worth regarding the steering wheels.
I agree with Mark that it really should have a woodrim & unless you are extremely lucky, You will pay a lot for a good one. I'm not trying to talk up the one on ebay but it seems in very nice condition & will come with the hornpush (he says he will supply it with either black or yellow - I'd choose yellow because it is correct & more expensive to buy seperately).
I have been watching steering wheels for a while & expect it to go for a lot more than ?250. I also think that yours will get a little bit more than ?100 on Fleabay which is sometimes unpredictable but generably gets more for stuff than anywhere else. I totally agree it is a lot of money but they seem to be a very safe place to put your money if you don't pay too much in the first place. Try to think of it as an investment!.

Oh, one other thing. many people think that woodrim steering wheels of this age can be dangerous if they break up in an accident, so please bear that in mind when considering your choice. (I would still go for the wood myself)

I also think that for me the original vinyl for the seats is the best and although I really like leather on anything else, leather looks & smells wrong for me.

From personal experience, I would go to Susan Miller for seat covers/refurbishment and anything else cos she knows what she is talking about, is very helpful & is a pleasure to deal with.
No connection, just very pleased with the service.

Let us see the interior & engine bay please.

Good luck with it all.

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:04 pm

I think that you may have quite a job on your hands fitting the correct Vauxhall rear lights; the S4 lights fit onto a completely different rear panel which is shaped to form a base for the light units; whereas the Vauxhall lights fit onto an almost flat base. I guess that an S4 panel was grafted in at some point. Good luck.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:58 am

Also, tongue firmly in cheek, you can change out the airflow at the rear by removing the wrong large L O T U S lettering and add (or leave off entirely) the much smaller original badge.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElanSeries2 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:14 am

Now the LOTUS lettering is wrong too? What next?!! OK, so what IS the right rear script, please?

Some more photos - some of the (ever increasing) list of jobs, some as you asked for! As you can see, the seats are not so good and the rear lights will take some work. The engine runs well, and although there is a little smoke on starting, its clear when up to temperature - whether accelerating or on the overrun.

I'll give Sue Miller and JAE a chase today...

Greg
Attachments
Elan seat runners 2 compressed.JPG and
Elan rear close up compressed.JPG and
Elan interior during RC install 2 compressed.JPG and
Elan engine bay from above 1 compressed.JPG and
Elan engine bay 1 compressed.JPG and
1965 Elan S2
1972 Elan +2S 130
ElanSeries2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:13 pm

ElanSeries2 wrote:Now the LOTUS lettering is wrong too? What next?!! OK, so what IS the right rear script, please?

The correct ID on the rear is "Lotus Elan S2" using the same "Elan S2" that you have above your doors, with a "Lotus" of the same lettering style. It is placed on the right side between the boot and the rear edge of the bodywork. Someone went out of his way to make the rear of your car look like an S4, although the wheel well profiles are from the S2.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: