New car arriving

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:29 pm

OK..Just that no-one was answering any of my questions etc. Thought it was going old hat direction.. :?

I will have a go with the pics but the ones I have are quite big. I need to resize them somehow. Not the best with these 'puter thingies.

I will ask my son for some help then post a few. :lol:

Alex B
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:14 pm

Another wee update.

Just finished setting valve clearances on the now recon'd head. :) :)

Slight (5 thou) skim to clean up and true.
4 x new exhaust valves.
4 x regrind of inlet valves.
8 x new colisbro guides.
8 x new valve seats (Cut to three angle and ok for unleaded use)

Shims were the same for 3 of the 4 exh' valves and all 4 of the inlet valves. Nice work!

Work was done by Blane Engineering near Glasgow.

I am nearly 400 quid lighter. Does it ever stop ? :cry:

Alex B
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:02 pm

Alex -

At some point it stops. usually after you have spent twice what you thought you would -

the shock , however. soon disapates once you start to drive the car -

Post some pictures of your paint job !
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:35 pm

I'd like to also join in singing the praises of Option 1; I took my Sprint to them after being T-boned on the way to Oulton Park. They have repaired all the damage and done a fabulous paint job of the back end, driver's door, boot lid and bonnet.

Bloody doors still don't line up though- not their fault, I was too honest with my insurance claim. Live and learn.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Hi All,
Sorry about the lack of comms. I have had to take it easy a bit due to a bout of ill health (better now!) So I have not got a lot more done.

Engine and box back in chassis and should have the body back on soon. All the upholstry refurb is underway. The hood tray has been repaired and painted. All the black crackle parts have been re done and look great. Including the cam cover. Wiring looms front and rear are in and hard soldered to the lamps, then heatshrunk and taped as per the loom. Looks just like the loom extends all the way to the lamps/flashers/headlamps etc. Some of the underfelt parts are in. Crash pad and trim around the windscreen etc ..All done and look super. Hood frame has been gently blasted and powdercoated in light gray.

There is more but still ongoing as norm. I see light at the tunnel end now though. Wiring up the dash is giving me nightmares just thinking about it.

Keep you posted.

Alex B 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:34 am

alexblack13 wrote:Another wee update.

Just finished setting valve clearances on the now recon'd head. :) :)

Slight (5 thou) skim to clean up and true.
4 x new exhaust valves.
4 x regrind of inlet valves.
8 x new colisbro guides.
8 x new valve seats (Cut to three angle and ok for unleaded use)

Shims were the same for 3 of the 4 exh' valves and all 4 of the inlet valves. Nice work!

Work was done by Blane Engineering near Glasgow.

I am nearly 400 quid lighter. Does it ever stop ? :cry:

Alex B

Sounds like a bargain price for recon the head.

I'm expecting to pay over twice that :cry:
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:07 pm

Hi Bill / All,

Should have mentioned that I supplied the valves and guides..

Sorry :?

I can give anyone intersted the tel' number for Blane engineering if they want it. Work quality looks spot on.

Alex B 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi All,

Jim Clark memorial do at knockhill racing circuit this weekend (I can see Knockhill from my house ) Brought the chance to have Brian Buckland (He who wrote the book) come and look over my car. Too good a chance to miss Thought I.

Looks like I am on the right track. He was very impressed :D

More light at the tunnel end .......

Alex B. 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:56 am

Hi Aex

Your rebuild is proressing faster than mine! Having said that I connected up the electrics last week having fitted new relays for the lights, horn and windows and sorted out the old loom - I was delighted when everything electrical worked. I had a real spaghetti of wiring behind the glovebox and have tidied this up and replaced the old multiconnector plug with several new 4 blade connectors which will make it easy to connect and disconnect the wiring in this area in future.

Did you repaint the rocker cover with black crackle yourself? Mine could do with sprucing up and am not sure if this is a DIY job or if it needs sending off.

Just had my Webers back from a concours rebuild at Carburetter Exchange and they look superb - I'll put some pics up over the weekend

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:12 pm

Brill Richard..

Good to hear of progress. I have only tested the front loom as of yet but I took the time to solder all the con's in the eng' bay. Looks good and all working but not tested the relays yet. One of the things Brian Buckland poined out was that I had used the wrong (non original) type relays. I had used sealed modern equiv's. He said ... ''on a rebuild of this quality you must fit original eqip' where ever poss''... So I am waiting for the correct ones from S Millar. I hope to fit the body back to the chassis nxt weekend.

Cam cover crackle finish..... Yes I did it myself. Not difficult but you need a decent sized oven. I had the cover gently bead blasted to take off all the old stuff then a good airline down to clean.Wipe with cell' thinners and apply as per the instructions. Two coats 10 mins apart then after 4 hrs apply good heavy coat and dry it in the oven at a lowish heat till it crackles up nice n even. Came out V nice... I have also done the ash tray and air outlets in the crashpad/dash top.

I am having my carbs done by a faily local expert. 200 quid for a rebuild. I will advise how this goes. I have to take them to him at Knockhill AM to day. Here's hoping...

I intend to post some pics but I need my son to resize them for me as they are too big to post at the moment..

Regards to all.....

Alex B 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:43 pm

Hi Alex

When are you going to post all the photos, 100 replies 8684 views and all of these great descriptions. The suspence is killing me

Come on share a little

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:19 pm

Alex

Thanks for the crackle paint advice - another job on the list.

I have also fitted the new style relays - as they are half the price and you can't easily see tham I think I will stick with them. The only thing I need to work out is the "headlamp flasher" - I seem to have 12v in the right places but haven't yet got a flash! May have to ask the question to the forum.

The photos you mailed me of the Option 1 respray were great - they should be easy to downsize so you can post them - I downsized the Weber pics that I have just posted to a width of 500 pixels which gives a manageable file size of about 50kb which uploads easily.

Just missed posting the 100th reply to your thread!

Richard
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:26 pm

Sorry guys,
I am hopeless when it comes to 'putery things. I will def' ask my lad (who isn't!) to help me get some pic's up for you all asap.

Richard.... What headlamp flasher unit are you using? Some of the replacement/remade original units don't work straight out of the box.

Went to knockhhill today and forgot to put my carbs in the car to give to my carb' refurb man!! What a twit I am. Mrs B says its an age thing. She is right. :?

Alex B. 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:01 pm

Alex

I've tried the original flasher unit and your comments ringa bell - I think one of the threads suggested that the newer relays do not draw enough current to operate the flasher. I haven't seen any mention of a solid state replacement so will investigate - I did get a solid state replacement for the old voltage stabiliser [off Ebay] that attaches behind the speedo so perhaps someone does similar for the flasher unit.

Richard
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:04 pm

Hi,
I think it is the flasher unit itself that need a load to work. I am not sure though.Not got there yet.

Alex B 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: