New car arriving

PostPost by: Jolly Jumper » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:27 am

Alex,

since you want to use the old chassis, it might be a good idea to check it for alignment. You never know if the car has been kerbed in the past. Now is the time to check if the chassis is bent or not.

On a different note, I have been told by one of germany's top Elan restorers that the galvanized chassis sold nowadays are usually out of alignment straight out of the box. This happens in the galvanization process. The chassis gets distorted by the heat.

For that reason, some guys start with a new ungalvanized chassis and protect it in the traditional way with paint and wax...

The Elan shows any imperfection in chassis alignment once it's on the road...
Jolly Jumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:11 pm

Jolly Jumper wrote:On a different note, I have been told by one of germany's top Elan restorers that the galvanized chassis sold nowadays are usually out of alignment straight out of the box. This happens in the galvanization process. The chassis gets distorted by the heat.

In the past week I have been told by Dave Bean Engineering that Lotus now only supply unfinished chassis, neither galvanized nor painted (not even primed).
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:41 pm

Hi Mike/all

Look at www.rust.co.uk Then look at the epoxy mastic chassis paint/treatment. I think it looks the bis. I had a look on various discussion forums and it got the best write up. Well tested by classis car enthusiasts world wide. I am surprised you cant find it.

Also worth a look are www.lb-restoration.co.uk They also highly recommend this product.

I am listning to all options by the way. No final decision made yet.
One of my pals was down today and he (like me) is a Mech Eng and he said if it were his, he would have it blast cleaned to remove only the surface corrosion and then powder coat it. He just finished a resto on a Daimler Dart SP250 and did his chassis with powder coating and swears by it. I do too as I have used it so often. The last 2 scoots I restored (Lambretta)
were blasted and powdered with the intention of painting on top of the powderd parts and they were so good I just did not need to.

By the way. The blast cleaning company I use can take the paint off a coke can leaving the metal undamaged. He can be as gentle or as coarse as need be. He will be well briefed and I will be there during the job, if I go that route :)

I am just a bit unhappy that I can't get to some of the little hidden/difficult to get at parts to clean properly and would end up worried that the new paint / underseal or whatever is missing a few areas or not stuck very well :?

Know what I mean ???? :? Let me know what you all think. A week or so away from doing anything as yet...

Chassis alignment.....

I think quite a few chassis vendors would disagree with the distortion when galvanized etc. But...

1) This little car drove pretty well during its journey to my home
(60 mls or so ) Considering the condition of the running gear. Amazing I thought!

2) Dammed right I am checking the frame for straight. I won't have it this far apart ever again so now is the time. This will be checked prior to it going off for, or prior to, painting. I have already removed and corrected a few small Jacking ''dinks'' and the frame is now sitting on a levelled (substantial) trolly ready for checking out. It looks fine by eye though. All the suspension mounts etc all line up as the should, and the cars history shows no accidents. (phew!!!)

Listening out... :) :)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:01 pm

PS..... During a visit to Lotus during one of their open days in the mid/late 70's I watched chassis production. They never made a straight one yet!! It was scary!! I am sure all frames produced were not true 'straight out of the box' I also watched them 'straighten' them. That was a bit of a joke and very quick. A further 'check' on a jig told them pass or fail. In which case it got further 'straightning'.

Happy that the chassis was now ''within tollerance'' away it went. Hand carted off to the next stage.

A Bit like a Kart manufacturer.... Twist n go !!

8) AB.. 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:59 am

Alex,
don't get me wrong, I'm very aware of Rustbuster, in fact I bought my Dinitrol from them.

The problem with paint solutions is that you really only get one chance to paint things and there are lots of alternatives.

Like you and your pal, I am also a mechanical engineer (I worked for Vauxhall at Millbrook for a number of years) and as such I am very cynical about advertising claims.

With paint, longevity is very important so I look for long term experience and independent testing wherever possible. Many magazines do 'tests' of paints but I suspect that they are only looking at short term results, how easy it is to apply, what it looks like and how strong the initial film is.

Look at older silver and red Fords (amongst others) to see what I mean, they are great new but go very flat with time.

The negative press I found on epoxy mastics is at 'http://www.tfhrc.gov/hnr20/bridge/mastic.htm'. Not conclusive in itself but interesting. It's always hard with new solutions but epoxy mastics have been around a long time so there should be valuable experience around.

Someone on this forum recently recommended the following (infuriatingly I can?t find the thread):
http://www.railway-technology.com/contr ... illiamson/

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:45 pm

Hi Mike,

The stuff is not paint Mike. It is a 2 pack epoxy resin. Goes on like paint though and can be brush or spray applied.

Take your point re adverts though. You just can't trust anyone these days :? :? I think I'm going to give it a go.

Amazed at the shine / polish you can get on the galv' coating with a hand drill driven wire brush by the way. Removing the surface salty powder has revealed a nice shiney(now) galv' surface below. Couple of places the galv' coat has gone, but the steel is still sound. Hence the need to protect it.

I will keep you all posted

A good and safe New year to all. And A BIG thanks for all the help /input.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:47 am

I used 2 coats of inorganic zinc primer and 2 coats alkyd enamel top coat on my Elan chassis 27 years ago. Still in perfect condition though life in Australia is certainly easier on the metal bits.

This paint system is typically used on steel structures in exposed enviroments such as off shore oil rigs and bridges and oil refineries.

If you lost some of the zinc galvanising on the chassis then the inorganic zinc primer ( which is about 60% zinc powder by weight) is a good touch up protection for those areas.

What top coat you use - alkyd enamel, epoxy enamel, powder coat is very much personal preference I think and in general it the quality of the surface preparation and application that more important than the paint system itself as they all work. The inorganic zinc primer tough is designed to bond to the alkyd enamel so perhaps works best with this.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:08 pm

Hi again folks,
I trust you all had a nice Xmas etc. Any good lotus related prezies? I have a book on route (rebuilding the Lotus Elan) but It will not be here till mid feb. I am looking forward to it.

Update.. I have now applied the Epoxy Resin to the cleaned frame. and I have to say it certainly looks the biz. It went on very well and has left a nice satin black finish. I intend leaving it till this weekend before I start putting it together again. I have so far refurb'ed the steering rack, mainly cosmetic as it was in good order otherwise. It has now been fitted with new gaiters and trackrod ends and looks like new. It will go on with new poly bushes. The roll bar has also had a clean up and new poly bushes fitted ready for refit. New brake pipes (kunifer) are made up with plated ends and the union & 'T' p'c have had the wire brush treatment ready to go back on with a nice button head stainless fastner/nut/washer.

So far so good. :D :D
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:38 pm

Hi All,
Just a wee update. Started rebuilding the chassis now. Brake pipes etc all on. On then to fitting the steering rack with its new poly bushes from Susan Millar. Question.. Anyone used these? How did you get on fitting them? My experience is that (like a lot of aftermarket bits) they don't fit well. The new bushes are pushing the clamps back at an angle and tightning them more does not help the situ'. I am not happy with them and have now removed them. Am I doing something wrong? I fitted them refering to the pics I took to make sure all the shims etc are back exactly as was. It was as if they were too wide. Fitting instructions are almost non existant... :?

Any comments?

Cheers all... Alex B
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:32 pm

Hi Alex
I have been using this style for a while, I think they cost me $30 or $40 at a car show a couple years ago. Maybe someone has them near you.

Gary
Attachments
P1130477.jpg and
P1130478.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:32 pm

Thanks Gary,

I have now refitted the rack using the rubber mounts. They are fine now. The superflex items are on the way back to Susan Millar. Worring thing is now how well (if at all!) the other superflex 'upgraded' bushes that I have bought fit? Good question!

I will let you know :?
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:52 pm

Trust you are all well?

Couple of quick questions. Building up the rear suspenders on the car and all is going great.

What bump stops are you using with 2.25" dia rear springs?

Anyone used the Susan millar outer rear A frame to strut bushes? The 'superflex' items.

I have fitted them but I am not sure at all if I like / trust them..

Anyone?? 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi All,
Just a wee update. Had to take a flier re the questions asked with nil replies.. :(

Been Very Busy..... :)

So.. Fitted TTR rear universal bumpstops. The superflex bushes will get tested I am sure. Fitted TTR front suspension etc and the chassis is on its wheels again. It has had everything! and looks V good. Had a couple of people from club Lotus and LDC have a look and its good news. So just waiting on the body now which will be back Mid March by the looks of things.

Gearbox... Needed a rebuild with new bearings and seals . Otherwise OK. The seals were rock hard.

I will put a new clutch in when refitting.

Engine not touched as yet. Apart that is to removing the head for a quick looksee. I will have questions later no doubt :?

Have fun.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:53 pm

Hi All,
A quick update if anyone is interested.

The body is back from option 1 sportscars after its restoration/paintjob and I have to tell you that it is just fantastic. It has been 'inspected' by a few Lotus nuts now and no-one has faulted it. Jim Grant (Scottish area rep for the LDC) Said it was the best he has seen bar none. Praise indeed.
The engine has had a full rebuild near enough with new everything except the crank and rods. Head has had all new valve seats and guides + 4 new exhaust valves. Engine and Inspected and rebuilt geabox have still to go into the chassis as it is sitting on my drive at the mo'. All lights have been fitted with one new headlamp vac' pod. New loom about to go in and the dash has nice new vineer.

So far so good....

8) Alex B.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:01 pm

'Course we're interested, Alex. put some piccies up!!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: