Price For A Restored Elan

PostPost by: chicagojeff » Tue May 03, 2005 2:25 am

Hey all. thanks for the great feedback. Considering three cars to buy. All have been restored beautifully, so no basket case examples. A 67 S3 DHC, a 67 FHC but with some S/E mods, and a 71 Euro Sprint.

Asking price ranges from the high teens to mid twenties. Feedback anyone? Thanks!
Jeff
67 S3 DHC
chicagojeff
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue May 03, 2005 6:27 pm

Jeff, I know of a 99 point, S4 with a few tasteful mods that went for 29.9K. I also know of a very nice S2, white, that was sold to a fellow in the Chicago area recently and it went for mid 20s. Both very fair prices. Not having seen what you're looking at, the prices may be fair or not. But I do know that all cars will have some issues. Just depends on what you're willing to tolerate, skill-wise and $$ wise.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chicagojeff » Tue May 03, 2005 10:26 pm

Also, do any of you have an opinion as to value regardiing FHC vs DHC, or early vs later years, or restored vs "original". I also have heard a few times that the Weber carbed versions are preferable to the Strombergs, but not much detail about why. I've had other makes with both, sometimes the SU are better.

Anyway, thanks all! Jeff
67 S3 DHC
chicagojeff
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed May 04, 2005 9:45 am

Jeff

DHC have always been priced a few thousand dollars higher than FHC of same condition though I personally prefer the fixed head version. Given that FHC are slowly dissapearing as they are converted to DHC over the years I figure eventually the last FHC will be finally worth more than all the DHC arond !

S4 Sprint drop heads have always been priced somewhat higher than earlier cars but this difference has dissappeared over the years to a large degree as the cars have all got older. To some degree now a early S! may fetch more.

In standard or near standard form not a lot of difference between a Weber versus Stromberg car assuming the Stromberg has been upgraded to remove the stifling US emissions settings. The Weber engnes however always feel more responsive due to the more rapid quick open throttle response of the Webers. If you want to develop the engine for more HP the weber head is the only way to go.

Rohan
In God I trust.... All others please bring data
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu May 05, 2005 3:59 am

Original is better than restored, unless it needs restored. Webers are and will be the carb of choice, punchier and what the engine was designed with. DHC versus FHC, which do you prefer? Have you driven the three cars you're considering?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sat May 07, 2005 9:00 pm

I would say that 'well' restored on a replacement galvanised chassis is better than original on an original painted chassis as chassis rust and will eventually need replacing - unless the car has never been driven in the wet?
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat May 21, 2005 2:05 am

You're right, my comments are confusing. What I was trying to say was clean excellent original is better than restored. Better meaning more valueable. But it would have to be rust free and near mint, as nice as a restored vehicle.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun May 22, 2005 2:28 am

please don't take this wrong-- I love lotus cars and the engineering --but unless you are very mechanical have a very extensive tool kit and a place to work on the car [or loads of money to pay someone to work on your car ] don't buy a lotus--I have 2 and its almost a full time job to keep them going and in safe condition--parts are getting difficult to find and expensive --Nomex on -- ed :ph34r:
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sun May 22, 2005 3:05 am

uh oh.. and in this corner......(I hope I'm not taking anything wrong, just climbing on a very tall soapbox),,,,, I've got a toolbox I can carry with one arm, limited and slow mechanical skills, no garage, a '69 +2, a '64 S1 (which I was driving 90mph hour today with my 80 year old father as passenger) and neither of these cars have let me down (ignoring that lack of fuel once in the +2) during years and years of ownership. I defend the Lotus marque as far more dependable than anyone seems to give them credit... finally, parts seem very reasonably priced here in the USA, ESPECIALLY when compared to any current "exotic" or even semi exotic new car out there....
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun May 22, 2005 12:12 pm

I too have reasonable success arriving mostly where I intended and close to the time estimated but these cars aren't bmws or porches -Teutonic design compared to Chapman thinking should cause a grown man to tremble- so the man should be forewarned -- btw a sobering thought the only thing twixt your bum and the road 3 inches below you is 2 layers of 30 year old English fiberglass they couldn't make leak oil----Shields up-----ed

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon May 23, 2005 1:58 am

Tuetonic design versus Colin Chapman = ? I don't understand. Also, my porch is attached to my house. Another thing, I have a seat between me and the three (read 5) inches of clearance above the road in my S1. Finally, Thank God Lotuses are not bmw's. (twincamman, most of what I write is tongue in cheek, I'm not into Clickable Smilies so please don't take offense, I'm just having fun.) chicago jeff... check out the local club and buy the Lotus you enjoy driving ASAP
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon May 23, 2005 2:52 am

thats OK -- I'm always afraid ill wake up some morning to find the porcha club has mounted gun turrets on their cars and invaded Poland again - :ph34r: - the most successful lotus drivers were devoid of any engineering knowledge --a quote from the 60s re the f1 team --- :lol: 5 inches road clearance ? are you sure its not a Chevy WITH A BLACK LOTUS NOSE BADGE? <_< ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotus67 » Wed May 25, 2005 1:27 pm

Jeff: I accidently deleted your email address. If still interested in the car, please let me know.
at [email protected]
lotus67
New-tral

PostPost by: DrEntropy » Sun May 29, 2005 1:24 pm

I've been the second owner of my S3 DHC since '71. Drove the car as a "daily" for eleven years (most folk who only know the bad rep would say I'm lyin') and always got from "A" to "B" with it... sometimes that required a "fix-I-go" but rarely. Mr. Chapman's cars are a bit more fragile than the Teutonic rivals, but if you're not a "door slammer" type (respect the car!) they are a joy. Reliability is a function of preparation and maintenance on just about everything in life. Lotus cars are no exception. "Simpatico with the equipment" can have a huge benefit as well... These cars "talk" to you more directly than most: feedback is quite direct, mostly sensed "thru the buttocks," to paraphrase. When something feels "funny" it's time to have a look around and fix it ~before~ something untoward happens.

We "survived" a number of years with three Lotus cars (the S3 DHC, a MkI Lotus Cortina and a +2) as our only transporters quite handily. Best years of my life, frankly. Truly not a car for "the masses" but if you're considering one for the joy of driving and not the "impression" it makes, you're more than half way there.

Get the car and if you find it to be more trouble than it's worth to you, surely someone here will relieve you of it!

Motor Gently!
Dr E--
mhm 17x1
'67 S-3 DHC
'69 +2
'64 MGB
'78 Alfa Spider
'84 300D Turbo
DrEntropy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Tue May 31, 2005 8:45 pm

Elans are not 'modern' cars with long service intervals so just remember to check oil, water and brake fluid every time you take the car out. Wheel spinners are a good idea as well.
As long as you do this on a regular basis then the cars are pretty reliable. Unlike BMW and 'Porches' at least you can get to everything (it helps if you are double jointed) and you don't need computers or special tools to work on the car..The engine looks like an engine. If I open the bonnet (hood) of my BMW all I see is a big plastice engine cover hiding everything. Certainly not user friendly!!

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: