Lotus Elan Shapecraft

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:13 pm

any Alpine I ever saw didn't look like that ----I smell a vintage racer here -who slides into his Old car and deludes himself ino thinking hes Pescaloro at some place in Europe ---when I got into a race car it was just me trying to beat the other guy at what ever track we were at --but then again my dad didn't own an alpine nor did I so I'm no expert -and by exclusive do we mean Pontiac GTO --Siebring Dodge --Daytona or barr etta or any other racy European or fast names used to sell cars ?????ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:19 pm

twincamman wrote:any Alpine I ever saw didn't look like that ---- ed

Looks exactly like one of the many Alpines that won the Index of Thermal Efficiency category year after year to me. Are you thinking of the A110, which came along later? :roll:

Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:33 pm

8) 8)
Last edited by twincamman on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:35 pm

twincamman wrote:welll Old White----as I have produced a letter that admits Lotus has no idea how many cars there are that were 26Rs built--- I'm sure many people are cutting plexi glass covers for their head lights based on the drawing number [26R ] on the diff cover ---maybe another 2600 new ones are under construction now as we speak -- :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: -- now my grand dad had a chev my dad had a chev I had a chev and spent 19 years machining parts for chevys ---so according to some body's logic I'm a expert on Chevys ---NOT-- :roll: and isnt the end one a Matra?? or a Ligier??ed

Sorry Ed ,
I didn't understand at first and made a mistake , but you too!
On the picture , next to the "fakes GT6 real Spitfire's 1100" , ist's an Alpine M63 , powered by a Renault 1000cc , then 1100 and 1300 ... no Matra's or Ligier's!!!
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:44 pm

sure is a racy looking car ---ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:07 pm

I knew you would be back -- :lol: --ed
Last edited by twincamman on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:40 pm

twincamman wrote:dont know the number it was a fast back [here we go again--nomex on]-----neat looking coup---made by Renault----but so was the 2 cv and 4cv and the Dalphine so I really didnt follow French cars much based on that [ sorry old english white ]--- :) -but the guys I hung around wth had one alpine Herrington --porsches--a sumbeam alpine Tr3 triumph 3 Ogle minis - alpha 1750 and a 2600 [Ithink ] mgb mga mgtd mgtf ---a 2cv a4cv --a damler 8 a lotus 7 or 2 [ where I got the lotus bug]and I had a few fiat 124 spyders a 1500 an 850 - --AND WE GOT ALONG --but we were real enthuasiasts :roll: -ed

Ed,
The name Alpine has been used by lots of car makers, I understand your confusion! :P
Your "Renault" Alpine was the A110, a fabulous fast-back rally (and sometimes race) car, not made by Renault but they put up the money and supplied basic engine/gearbox, etc components to a tiny factory (shed) in Dieppe. btw, this little bunch of folks later invented the "people carrier" (mini-van) Renault Espace.
The Alpine that you are possibly thinking of was the Sunbeam; Carol Shelby fitted a V8 and it became the Tiger, I believe that lots of these two types went to the US. These cars also raced at Le Mans, Sebring etc.

Looking back at the original question which started this mega-thread, Dave, I think that you have drawn a blank. :?
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:50 pm

ok thanks --[ he still has my picture ] of 26R s2 33:lol: :lol: -ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:24 am

the third car [42] looks like mine although it was listed as 83 in the history -- into 5 b mosport in the 60s ---note no guard rails ----ed
Attachments
8551.jpg and

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:27 pm

... I can't see the Shapecraft signature on this document :wink: , just an Elan chasing a 356 Speedster and an Alfa TZ :shock: ... At least , did she succed !?!
So , this is your car. Maybe some documents from this race should mention informations ... Never been interrested in making it back to this color !?!
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:32 pm

did he make the pass ?? ---not on that line he wouldnt carry enough speed and Al Pease was in the Alpha --veddy quick you know ----and no I prefer the yellow to washed out blue or nice white -- :lol: -ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:00 pm

The picture is not very clear, from what I can see, looks like a silver front bumper, K/O wheels, and no driver on the left side.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:05 pm

Perhaps the driver's name is Edward Lester Mann?
Andy
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:35 pm

car was driven by Max Nerriere at the players 200 at Mosport in 1967 under number 42 -also st joviet and Harewood :lol: --ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:08 am

Just come across some 26R records. They state that 26R-S2-33 was the 1966 Racing Car Show car, originally supplied with a BRM engine, c/ratio gearbox, & red body. Does any of this ring true?

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: