Lotus Elan Shapecraft

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:45 am

What's going on with your hardtop fit at the top of windscreen?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:00 am

think its a shadow ----ed
Attachments
P1010001.JPG and
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:55 am

I've never seen a yellow shadow.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:39 am

1964 s1 -- you are not making a lot of sense here - :?: -really ---ed

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:42 pm

elj221c wrote:
To get back on topic, Leonard Bridge raced a white Shapecraft in the same era. Well, I'm pretty sure it was one!

Check out my old photos in the gallery, real Shapecraft, Rochas 26Rs, etc.
http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15392

More to come. :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:15 pm

elj221 --SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT ---you have been 50 feet or so [at the track] I assume from Mr Bridges car and you THINK his is genuine ' ---but your 3000 miles away from my car and your positive mine is not -------my Scots Granny always said ' the sun never sets on the British Empire so we can keep an eye on what the blighters are up to ' ---now I understand her thinking - :lol: -ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:23 pm

Ed,

I never said at any time in the posts the word 'genuine'! Been very carefull to avoid it, in fact.

What I meant was that Len's car was what we this side of the pond consider a Shapecraft. I.E. one with a fastback. And I have been much closer to it than 50yds.

It is interesting that you compare the ex Walker car to yours. It makes it more sure in my mind that you 'just' have a 26R. Be pleased, I certainly would be.

Roy
'65S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:25 pm

yep I am very pleased ---my wife just cant understand me sitting in the garage looking at it and smiling ---I think Ill go wax it now ----but driving it is a worry ----all the geriatric drivers over here just drive in things and go on thier way like nothing happened ----[you really should get up on the Colonial sense of humour ]--- :lol: :lol: -ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:42 pm

Hi Ed,
I posed my question about the fit on the top of the windscreen because it looks so lousy. I thought your response might be that the top's not actually fastened down. Then I thought maybe someone, somehow had stuck an S4 windscreen frame on your car but the lower corners of your glass look proper for an S1. The fit on Roy's photo above your picture is how the hardtops actually fit, with the rubber seal and trim exposed.Do you know if your hardtop is a factory original?
Am I making better sense? My comment about yellow shadows is what I guess you'd call southern colonial humor.
Does it bother you that your daughter plans on scrapping your collection?
Sincerely, Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:55 pm

welll the lousy fit is because it sat in a barn all twisted up and some body sanded the thing till they hit air and discarded it ---I had to repair the glass without a mold -----it came with the car and had black gel coat on it in places so I assume its original ---does it bother me ?? ?????I don't think Ill care after I'm dead what happens to the cars -- Ill be stoking the fires with the other racers because I wont know anybody in the other place :lol: -but if I cant get better brakes on this Europa it may be sooner than later :roll: -ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: redelan64 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:52 pm

Attached is a photo of another Shapecraft bodied Elan S3 which lives in Brisbane Australia. I believe the only one in OZ.

I have known of the car since it came to OZ in the late 70's.

The headlights were the road pivot type but it was changed for competition a few years ago.

Craig Wilson
26/3800
Attachments
Wakefield 05 003.jpg and
redelan64
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:16 pm

redelan64 wrote:Attached is a photo of another Shapecraft bodied Elan S3 which lives in Brisbane Australia. I believe the only one in OZ.

I have known of the car since it came to OZ in the late 70's.

The headlights were the road pivot type but it was changed for competition a few years ago.

Craig Wilson
26/3800

Can you explain how THIS one is a Shapecraft? :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:40 pm

well Craig-- now they are on you cobber --good on ya mate ---------------Im leaving for the other side of the stump --- the next 10 pages are yours :lol: ed-

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:52 pm

Something for all you Shapecraft fans! From the Club Lotus web site:

"Shapecraft Elan info wanted
A well known Lotus enthusiast and author is keen to get in touch with any owners of Shapecraft Elans. He wants to compile a definitive list of all surviving examples for a book that is being written at the moment.

He appreciates that some owners will not want any publicity and will guarantee anonyminity if required - even to the stage of not needing to know exact locations if the owner wishes to keep this information secret. Alternatively he is happy to visit and take photographs and other details.

Shapecraft owners are invited to contact Alan Morgan at Club HQ and we will pass details on respecting any particular wishes.

If we can compile a register of genuine cars it will not only form the basis for a network amongst owners but will also help to prevent fraudulent copies coming to market. "
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:05 pm

I have a feeling that is bigvalvehead... the starter of this megga thread :roll:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: