Elan S3 Coup? 1967 Restoration

PostPost by: gino1 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:48 pm

Hi Frank,

It's the Italian touch..

Restoration proceeding well even though I expected less work on the shell removing the layers of underlying paint.

The last coat I found was white, therefore white its going to be with silver bumpers and a Gulf coloured orange stripe through it... wow..

However, I believe that unless you've personally been through taking ALL the paint off down to the bone, repairing the holes and crazing in the fibreglass inhaling the dust and getting your hands gued up with resin you cannot say you have restored your car.
Gino
Milano Italy
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Midlife » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:26 pm

Looks excellant, I love seeing the cars like this and all new again... My spring set up for hills/sprints (+2 though) is 180 on the rear, 250 on the front, ARB is 25mm. Really happy with the balance, just fine tuning on the shocks now. (crossply tyres).

Cheers

Doug
Midlife
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:28 pm

Hi All,
Finally at the paint shop and the undercoat is on a rubbed down for the final colour which will be currus white hopefully by the end of this week..
Gino
Milano
Italy
Attachments
HPIM1495 - 2.JPG and
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:26 pm

Hi Gino

I think you have made a great choice with the Cirrus White & I think it will look fab. I am in the process of restoring an early S3 coupe like yours but although white would have been my favourite colour, my car is one of the 23 or so cars that came with a red interior & as it was originally red on the body, I think I will keep it that way. All the best photos of elans are in white because for some reason it seems to capture the essence of the car perfectly (in my humble opinion that is).

What chassis number is your car? they might be close together in the production run. My car was built in November 65 (cannot remember chassis number but something like 4951 'ish).

Please post more photos for a bit of inspiration as I'm a little way behind you in the restoration process.

All the best.

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:49 pm

Hi Adam,
I have two early pre airflows one dates back to September 1965 36/5018 and the one i am restoring is September 1967 36/7214. the latter was probably purchased and then registered later... dunno.
The Elan I'm restoring is not going to be perfectly geniune as I will be fitting the perspex light covers and the bonnet with the bulge (I just love it!!)
Apart from these two minor "defects" it will be as near to original as one can expect.

It will be sprayed Cirrus White with Metallic Silver bumpers. As soon as I have more photos I will post.
Just in case the faint-hearted want to know what this preparation consists of; It has taken me around 220 man hours, resin, filler, blood and sweat to get this far.
I've just popped it into the spray shop for the final undercoat and colour.
It has been a different experience which I do not think I will repeat.

Gino
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:27 pm

Hi All,
Just got the car back from the spray shop and already got the chassis bolted in.
Keep you posted...
ciao
Gino
Attachments
HPIM1521-1.jpg and
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:07 pm

... Hi Gino ,
Your baby looks like a brand new Corgy-Toys... Great job!
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:59 pm

I'm sure there's a bunch of us that would really love to make use of your facilities to finish our restorations - the British weather is at its dampest and windiest at the moment.

Looks great. Am I correct in thinking that the first part to go back on was the nose badge? It was on my +2.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:03 am

Gino you car looks fantastic. My S3 Coupe' was also white, but with so much paint I did not realize it. Only found out about it's true color AFTER I had painted it BRG. White is a good Florida color. And I also found out that the original owner raced in whatever races they held in the Bahamas (I brought the car in from the Bahamas). I was told it raced as #2. Which of course explains why it came with a roll bar. Had I known all this I would have restored it as a club racer.

What does your employer do that they have an injection molding machine?
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:13 am

Hi all,
Thanks for all your nice coments.
The car was originally intended to be a track day car and as things have been evolving and looking too good I now have changed my mind. :idea: :?
The engine is prepared to over 160BHP with some real wild cams and some excellent porting done by a racing team near the venice area.
The pods are not there as I will be fitting the perspex covers and the bonnet with the bulge is not original but I just love it !!
The place where I have restored my car is my work place ..plastic moulding and mould construction and my boss was really nice to let me keep the car on site for the whole resto.
The paint job came out really well and cost me the the paint and 600 Euros for the paint shop; I did all the repair work and filling myself which saved me a huge amount of money. It took me the best part of my summer and xmas hols (over 200 hours) but when i look at the result it has been well worth while.
I'll keep you all posted on the final photos and of course the one with both my elans side by side.
Ciao
Gino
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:09 am

Hi Gino, I really like the white again. I found a photo of my coupe when I purchased it and before I changed to BRG. Keep us posted on your progress.

Sarto
Attachments
LO20A8~1..JPG and
Pre-restoration
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:45 am

Hi all,
Got the front headlights fitted yesterday; what a chore!!
Took me all day to make up these tiny brackets and fit them in place.
I hope the rest is a little more easier!
Gino
Milano Italy
Attachments
HPIM1578-1.jpg and
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: hatman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:38 pm

Is my eyesight playing tricks or are those lamps sitting much lower than normal?
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:56 pm

Hi,
Can you enlighten me..?
Now i've got that Oops feeling !! :roll: :?
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:25 pm

Gino
I dont think hatman realised your doing a 26R headlight conversion

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext