A Point Of Detail

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:48 am

Sorry about this gents but:-
Where the chassis plate is riveted to the bulkhead is the temperature capillary secured by one of the rivets via one of the metal clips or is it the washer bottle tube or is it both?

Has anyone a detailed underbonnet picture they could send me?

thanks Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:39 am

Mark,
Can't give a difinitive answer but if you get "The Lotus Elan" book by Duncan Wherrett on page 57 there is a pic showing quote "more accurate engine bay then this" where a Sprint is shown. The washer pipe is secured with a plastic clip attched with the top right side chassis plate rivet/screw ? The capillary tube appears NOT to be attached.
In the w/shop manual for the S1/2 there is a pic showing a similar set up but the washer pipe appears to be on the top left hand rivet/screw.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:42 pm

Brian, I have the book and despite the caption regarding accuracy and the fact that Wilson's car is right hand steering, my left hand steering '71 S4 SE came from the factory with the voltage regulator (removed last summer) mounted where Wilson's chassis plate is and the chassis plate mounted upside down on the left side of the engine compartment near the voltage regulator. I presume it is upside down so that when you are on that side of the car and you bend over to read it, it appears to be right side up. Also, my washer pump is mounted in the same place as Wilson's, but vertically rather than horizontally and the cable from the battery is blue, rather than black. The point is, there probably is no "correct" engine bay.

Frank Howard
Minnesota
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: