Elan starts after hibernation

PostPost by: abstamaria » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:24 am

Just a short note to announce that my Elan (#8439) started this weekend after a four-year hibernation.

I last used (and started) my Elan in 2002 at a vintage race - its last one - and over the succeeding years brought it back to road spec once again. Carpet underlay back in, new wool carpet in, roll bar removed, wide four-point harness replaced with narrower Willans harnesses, and the dampers and springs replaced with new road versions (rear top-adjustable Konis retained). The work didn't take that long, but a house move and the demands of other cars in the garage delayed the big day.

Fuel leaked profusely at the carbs when first filled. Undoing the wing-nut cap and the brass cap over the carb fuel-inlet filter (I have Webers) and spraying with carb cleaner slowed the leak down to very little. I hope it will stop all together as soon as the varnish melts away and the float needles seat properly.

The new aluminum muffler, which we built around a Ducati 748 silencer, sounds good, and surprisingly the rose jointed suspension didn't seem harsh, at least on this first trip around the block. I even forgot I had them on!

Have also been watching The Avengers on DVD - great to see the Elan on film (Mrs Peel uses a very early Elan in the first episodes, changes over to what seems to be an S3 eventually). Very period, silly sometimes, and great fun!

Andres
Manila
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: