Page 1 of 2

ALL Serial numbers on web site

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:18 am
by "SCW"
Hi finially have got all the Elans Serial numbers posted on the Sports Car
World web site at http://www.sportscarworld.com
thanks for looking Frank at SCW

ALL Serial numbers on web site

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:40 pm
by collins_dan
What do the letters signify before the engine number? Mine has a G.

Dan '70 S4 SE

ALL Serial numbers on web site

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:54 pm
by "Martin Stuart"
Interesting....

How come some chassis numbers lack build dates, though, is this because Lotus records are incomplete?

Also, does anyone know why a couple of 'pre-1970' format numbers with a letter suffix are out of sequence: for instance my car (chassis 9053B) is registered as a 1972 Sprint, yet falls between two 1969 built cars. Similarly, chassis 8877E was apparently built in 1971, yet falls between chassis numbers for 1969. Was Lotus just using up spare chassis numbers, or is there a more complicated explanation?

Martin

----- Original Message -----
From: SCW
To: ***@***.***
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 2:18 PM
Subject: [LotusElan.net] ALL Serial numbers on web site


Hi finially have got all the Elans Serial numbers posted on the Sports Car
World web site at http://www.sportscarworld.com
thanks for looking Frank at SCW

ALL Serial numbers on web site

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:57 pm
by denicholls2
Hi Frank,

I'm a beneficiary of your effort from the Europa side, and greatly
appreciate your making this information available to the Lotus
community. Thanks!!

-- Doug Nicholls, 54/1822 Ma~

ALL Serial numbers on web site

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:58 pm
by mikecauser
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 20:22:03 +0100 "Martin Stuart" <***@***.***> wrote:

Interesting....

Isn't it!


Also, does anyone know why a couple of 'pre-1970' format numbers with
a letter suffix are out of sequence: for instance my car (chassis
9053B) is registered as a 1972 Sprint, yet falls between two 1969
built cars. Similarly, chassis 8877E was apparently built in 1971, yet
falls between chassis numbers for 1969. Was Lotus just using up spare
chassis numbers, or is there a more complicated explanation?

There are several oddities in the data. The first I noticed is that the
dates only run to 1971. The second was that the "3000 gap" in the
serial numbers is from "48" to "3049". However there are several
existing cars in the 200-300 range, and I think Roger Sieling has at
least one. It /may/ be that the "Serial number" in Frank's list is
the Invoice Number, which isn't necessarily the same. Another oddity is
that although this is data from Lotus the date format is USAian.

My own Elan S2 SE, which I owned from 1976 to 1977, was chassis 26/4723,
engine LP3972, and is a blank except for the serial number on the list.
There was nothing about it that suggested that it was anything other
than a well-used [1] standard production Elan.

In my opinion, this list raises more questions than it answers.


Frank, could you tell us a little more about how you came by this list?
Privately if need be.


[1] Front of chassis well rotted.....




Mike
--
Mike Causer Email - mailto:***@***.***
GPG KeyID 1C2DDA07 WWW - http://www.mikecauser.com
Flood the fen again! - Wicken Fen enlargement - http://www.wicken.org.uk

ALL Serial numbers on web site

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:05 pm
by Elanman99
> Interesting....

Isn't it!



In my opinion, this list raises more questions than it answers.


Frank, could you tell us a little more about how you came by
this list?
Privately if need be.


--
Mike Causer Email -
mailto:***@***.***

Frank

Thanks for publishing the list, its fascinating and confusing. If you could
let us all know (privately!?!) about the lists origins I am sure we could
keep any secrets

Ian Phillips

ALL Serial numbers on web site

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:35 pm
by elansprint71
Looks remarkably like a blank page to me.


=-O


SCW wrote:

Hi finially have got all the Elans Serial numbers posted on the Sports
Car
World web site at http://www.sportscarworld.com
<http://www.sportscarworld.com>
thanks for looking Frank at SCW



ALL Serial numbers on web site

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:38 pm
by types26/36
--- In ***@***.***, Pete Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:
Looks remarkably like a blank page to me.

Pete,
You must first click:
ALL LOTUS SERIAL
NUMBERS AND INFO

and then click:

ELAN S1-S2-S3-S4

Well anyway thats how it works for me.
Brian.
64Elan/72Sprint/Birkin T.C.Seven

ALL Serial numbers on web site

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:22 am
by "Roger Sieling"
Mike,

Sorry to disapoint but I've never owned an "early" car. My earliest is
the 26-4xxx burned parts car I still have. I have been involved in
other's purchase of one S1-1/2 car and one of the latest S2's, # after
the first S3 DHC, ie: around 26-5810???

I too noticed the USA style dates and I would put this up to the fact
that Frank or someone doing it for him, hand entered this data into the
PDF files. I know that Frank's files have more data similar to what
Lotus own archives contain, so this list is just part of what is there.

I've never understood why later records, say from 1965-6 on, there isn't
some record attached to the s/n data indicating the actual original
owner/ driver. I would think that warranty records from the USA and the
check-up records of home built "kit" cars would have found their way
into the data base. No one seems to want to admit to this.

What I do find interesting in Frank's list is the discontinuous numbers
and dates. An interesting example of this is the Super Safety series.
Supposedly, the shop manual and parts book indicate them to comence at
s/n 7400. But look at the numbers: My 45-7380 is built months later than
cars either side of it. So is # 7400. A close friend used to own 45-7450
and it's only SS feature was the interior door pulls. It had the floppy
black plastic ones in the door recess and no rigid chrome handle like
all other typical S3s. It's date was also months before my build date on
45-7380. I wonder if there weren't a few cars pulled from the normal S3
production line and modified over the next several months to be Super
Safety prototypes. Sure would be nice to know someone who worked inside
back then.

Roger

>> ***@***.*** >>>
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 20:22:03 +0100 "Martin Stuart"

<***@***.***> wrote:

Interesting....

Isn't it!


Also, does anyone know why a couple of 'pre-1970' format numbers with
a letter suffix are out of sequence: for instance my car (chassis
9053B) is registered as a 1972 Sprint, yet falls between two 1969
built cars. Similarly, chassis 8877E was apparently built in 1971, yet
falls between chassis numbers for 1969. Was Lotus just using up spare
chassis numbers, or is there a more complicated explanation?

There are several oddities in the data. The first I noticed is that the
dates only run to 1971. The second was that the "3000 gap" in the
serial numbers is from "48" to "3049". However there are several
existing cars in the 200-300 range, and I think Roger Sieling has at
least one. It /may/ be that the "Serial number" in Frank's list is
the Invoice Number, which isn't necessarily the same. Another oddity is
that although this is data from Lotus the date format is USAian.

My own Elan S2 SE, which I owned from 1976 to 1977, was chassis 26/4723,
engine LP3972, and is a blank except for the serial number on the list.
There was nothing about it that suggested that it was anything other
than a well-used [1] standard production Elan.

In my opinion, this list raises more questions than it answers.


Frank, could you tell us a little more about how you came by this list?

Privately if need be.


[1] Front of chassis well rotted.....




Mike
--
Mike Causer Email - mailto:***@***.***
GPG KeyID 1C2DDA07 WWW - http://www.mikecauser.com
Flood the fen again! - Wicken Fen enlargement - http://www.wicken.org.uk

ALL Serial numbers on web site

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:13 am
by Early67DHC
Thanks for the list. Confusing list though, with so much irregularity
between entries. Also, the info on my car is incorrect on the list -
wrong engine number for chassis, although the build date seems accurate.
Wonder if the list was transcribed or scanned, and how much error
checking was done.

ALL Serial numbers on web site

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:36 am
by frearther
OTOH, the info on my 1965 (registered as a '66) S2 is the same as I
got from Mike Pomfret at the factory.

Art
26/4934

Arther H. Frederick
Initial Reaction - embroidered and decorated apparel
3869 Route 66, Chatham Centre
Valatie, NY 12184
518-392-4287
***@***.***

ALL Serial numbers on web site

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:42 pm
by kayenney
Art:
Any idea why it was registered as a '66?
I have a similar problem with 1915 and would like to get it corrected.

Ken
NW Florida

"Arther H. Frederick" <***@***.***> wrote:
OTOH, the info on my 1965 (registered as a '66) S2 is the same as I
got from Mike Pomfret at the factory.

Art
26/4934

Arther H. Frederick
Initial Reaction - embroidered and decorated apparel
3869 Route 66, Chatham Centre
Valatie, NY 12184
518-392-4287
***@***.***








---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

ALL Serial numbers on web site

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:24 am
by Fred Talmadge
Unlike the modern Elise, demand for Elans was not so hot, cars sat
for years sometimes in dealer lots waiting for buyers. I've only had
two Elans and both were registered about 1 year after build date.

I haven't heard it mentioned lately but one of our own has a registry
for Elans,
http://www.unibrain.org/motorsports/elan/registry/

btw my #4026 is right on, nice to know since I like to think of my
car as being mostly original.

Fred

At 08:06 AM 7/13/2006, Ken Evans wrote:
Art:
Any idea why it was registered as a '66?
I have a similar problem with 1915 and would like to get it corrected.

Ken
NW Florida

ALL Serial numbers on web site

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:31 am
by frearther
Ken,
The record that I got from Mike Pomfret said that the car
was imported in August, 1965, painted in primer. The importer was
Kjell Qvale (a familiar name, if you're of a certain age).
apparently, it was then painted to customer spec. It was probably
more convenient - and better from a PR standpoint - to call it a '66.
I guess that was not an uncommon practice at the time. However, the
ID plate clearly states US/65.

Art


At 09:06 AM 7/13/2006, you wrote:

Art:
Any idea why it was registered as a '66?
I have a similar problem with 1915 and would like to get it corrected.

Ken
NW Florida

Arther H. Frederick
Initial Reaction - embroidered and decorated apparel
3869 Route 66, Chatham Centre
Valatie, NY 12184
518-392-4287
***@***.***

ALL Serial numbers on web site

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:23 pm
by Unibrain
Thanks for remembering the registry. I've been working on an update
that will make it easier to update and allow people to edit their own
entries.

We are up to 162 entries with the earliest being 26/0395

- Jim

Fred Talmadge wrote:
Unlike the modern Elise, demand for Elans was not so hot, cars sat
for years sometimes in dealer lots waiting for buyers. I've only had
two Elans and both were registered about 1 year after build date.

I haven't heard it mentioned lately but one of our own has a registry
for Elans,
http://www.unibrain.org/motorsports/elan/registry/

btw my #4026 is right on, nice to know since I like to think of my
car as being mostly original.

Fred

At 08:06 AM 7/13/2006, Ken Evans wrote:
> Art:
> Any idea why it was registered as a '66?
> I have a similar problem with 1915 and would like to get it corrected.
>
> Ken
> NW Florida