Spyder / Zetec Elan

PostPost by: lotuselanman » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:18 am

Hi,
Good subject, original, correct, as produced, authentic, run out of adjectives.
I totally agree with updating a car as quoted, it would obviously be much nicer to drive and probably totally boring in its reliability. The Zetec route is a good one that I am presuming with my +2, but I will made the stipulation that I am not making any changes that are irreversible. No cutting, no holes nothing at all. The engine will bolt to the original type gearbox and fabricated engine mounts used.
Go for it and use any engine as long as don't try to flog it as being authentic, and for goodness sake don't chop it up or cut it.
See ya, Les Mellor.
lotuselanman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotuselanman » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:43 am

Gidday all, Aah what a subject, very dear to my inner man.
I would assume there are purest around the world who would never use any other tyre except for the 135 x 13 ( or what even)Dunlop gold seal conventional that was supplied when it new !! The only reason they had the Dunnies on was because one of Chapmans trader mates had a cash job lot.
Still run the sixties period sealed beam head lights, yes !! Would never dream of fitting QI's or similar so you can still see at dusk.
Retain the archaic Prince of darkness generator that will throw the solder off the armature you give it a big rev !!
Rohan (an Aussie with common sense) has covered the topic well, what he said was to improve it with modern items but do not chop it up.
I have a +2 that had a good chassis rust wise because of the massive oil leaks, when the body was off I up graded , strengthened and repaired it in many area, I now know barring accidents it will be still in A1 condition well after I arguing with ACBC up there. Oh and by the way it has CV's, Urethane bushes, more negative camber, sits a good 1 1/2" lowerand goes around corners as if on rails. And it will be Zetec powered by the end of the year. Yeah no more leaking water pumps, no oil leaks, no flatulating when it's cold.Oh Joy.
There is not one change I have made on my +2 or 160HP Lotus Cortina that cannot be reverted to original and both cars are quick and magic to drive.
So, there Mr purist, stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
See ya, Les
lotuselanman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:53 am

All I'll say is, why have an old car without all the old car stuff. You're
missing out on have the fun ;)

Fred T. '65 S2
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: guerrilla garage » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:26 pm

I have to admit I'm with Fred on this one. My bone stock Elan is a
hoot to drive on it's ridiculously skinny little tires. I guess I
get into driving around pretending it's 1966. When I want to drive
a modern car, I do.

Point #2. Perhaps you guys are all a lot more clever than I, but
I've never managed to get my money back out of a modified car. -
Steve

--- In ***@***.***, Fred Talmadge <fredtal@i...> wrote:

guerrilla garage
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: "e s" » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:17 pm

I've never heard that anyone gets anything but top money for a spyder chassis car. engine mods are all in the eyeo f the beholder
----- Original Message -----
To: ***@***.***
Subject: [LotusElan.net] Re: Spyder Elan
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:26:20 -0000

--

"e s"

Total Online: