Voights gearbox conversions

PostPost by: worzel » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:06 pm

Hi

Might be an appropriate time to ask this in view of the interest being shown in mating a T5 box to an elan.

In an illustration of the Voights conversion there is a small projection on the top cover- presumably this is some sort of spring loading device for 5th gear- or am I off beam on this?

If it is such a device has anybody any idea how it works- is it some sort of cam arrangement to provide suitable resistance against 5th and reverse.

I'm only asking because although I know of a system to reintroduce the spring loading it is more bulky than their device (assuming that's what it is).

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:15 pm

garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:02 pm

worzel wrote:Hi

In an illustration of the Voights conversion there is a small projection on the top cover- presumably this is some sort of spring loading device for 5th gear- or am I off beam on this?

If it is such a device has anybody any idea how it works- is it some sort of cam arrangement to provide suitable resistance against 5th and reverse.
that's what it is).

John

John,

The projection contains a spring and plunger which forms the reverse gear detent action; it also limits the rightwards motion of the gear lever when moving to 5th gear sposition. It operates on a ramp on the interlock disc.

As I remove my engine and gearbox as an assembly due to Tony Thompson exhaust manifold, I have to remove/replace the plunger assy. using a shortened 19mm ratchet ring spanner, as otherwise it catches on the fibreglass transmission tunnel.

Sean
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:55 am

Hi

Thanks for the info. Does this mean that the gearlever is not spring biased in any way across the neutral plane and that resistance is only met against 5th and reverse?

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:10 pm

worzel wrote:Thanks for the info. Does this mean that the gearlever is not spring biased in any way across the neutral plane and that resistance is only met against 5th and reverse?

John

Hi John,

I just checked in the car. The neutral position is in the 3rd / 4th gear plane, but it's very light. I had the box apart a few months ago to put in a long 1st gear cluster, but I didn't notice where this bias comes from, maybe it's the spring ball at the forward end of the selector rod. There is a ramp on the cam to spring load reverse, but it's just stepped stop on the 5th gear side.

BTW, the top section gear lever shown on Alan Voights' flyer above is shown forward of the lower part. This should be the other way round, as I discovered when I did my installation six years ago. I did a drawing of the mod for Alan at the time.

Sean
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:07 pm

Hi Sean

Thanks for the info- the box in mine doesn't have any spring loading but uses a similar "cam" effect to provide resistance against reverse and 5th. My box however doesn't have the projection on the lid however, the cam arrangement is hidden away. I didn't design this conversion so I'll have to get back to the guy who did. I wonder if Voights used his idea because years ago I had this box in to their place for bearings etc and at that time they were still trying to develop their own so maybe they adapted it for their own use.

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:29 pm

worzel wrote:Hi Sean

Thanks for the info- the box in mine doesn't have any spring loading but uses a similar "cam" effect to provide resistance against reverse and 5th. My box however doesn't have the projection on the lid however, the cam arrangement is hidden away. I didn't design this conversion so I'll have to get back to the guy who did. I wonder if Voights used his idea because years ago I had this box in to their place for bearings etc and at that time they were still trying to develop their own so maybe they adapted it for their own use.
John

I'm really interested in any arrangement that doesn't have the projecting unit. I'd like to see some details / how it works, and hopefully order one up if that's possible.

Sean
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:27 pm

Hi. Me too on the re-design for the cam. I have the voigts projection sticking up through a hole in the body over the gearbox, as once installed it fouled the bodywork. It misses the heater unit luckily, so a re-design that gets rid of this protrusion would be a real bonus.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: