Distributor advance springs

PostPost by: S3SEWHITE » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi All,

I need to change the springs in my distributor to alter the advance curve for my new engine.

Anyone know the specification of the springs (for Spring spec engine) and where you get hold of them please? :?

It seems drastic to buy a new dizzy!
S3SEWHITE
New-tral

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:44 pm

Try this guy...I think that he can help you!

It would probably be prudent to overhaul the whole thing, as worn shaft etc. is the main cause of timing being wrong, and engine running rough.

http://www.distributordoctor.com/

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: S3SEWHITE » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:58 pm

Many thanks, the doctor he is keen to overhaul it himself, cost ?130....
S3SEWHITE
New-tral

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:04 pm

neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:39 pm

What does the vacuum unit do? Mine was disconnected by the PO. I'm having issues with rough running only at 4K+ rpms and am wondering if this could be the problem? Thanks, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:57 pm

I didn't think any Twincams had a vacuum advance. Is it an original distributor?

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:14 pm

Try H&H Ignition.... my guess is they'd be about half that.
Just tell them what spec you need and they'll sort it.

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:30 pm

paddy wrote:I didn't think any Twincams had a vacuum advance. Is it an original distributor?

Paddy,

Mine does and it came from the factory with mechanical advance as well. It is original, with Strombergs.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:58 pm

Frank Howard wrote:Mine does and it came from the factory with mechanical advance as well. It is original, with Strombergs.

OK, happy to be wrong :)

In answer to the question, then; the vacuum advance adjusts the timing in response to inlet manifold vacuum. If it's disconnected then the timing will be wrong, or sub-optimal, under various conditions, depending on the static timing setting. Someone else who also has this arrangement would have to comment on how well it runs with the vac advance disabled.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:03 pm

Frank Howard wrote:Mine does and it came from the factory with mechanical advance as well. It is original, with Strombergs.

Frank, I thought Federal cars were fitted with a retard vacuum unit and not vacuum advance, does your Europa have a vac advance or retard?
Here is an artical that mentions the Europa's retard device.
http://webspace.webring.com/people/q3/3 ... inCam.html

Dan, is your vacuum unit an advance or retard device? To identify which it is, the retard unit will pull the base plate anti clockwise or clockwise to advance.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DaveAlmey » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi all,

I have a NOS Lucas 4304 with vac on it if anyone is interested. ?90 plus the post!
Regards

Dave

Yes I know I cant spell, but can weld, spray paint, lay grp and rebuild engines.

69 S4SE DHC
DaveAlmey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:02 pm

Brian, I'm not sure if it is an advance or retard device. Is there a simple way to tell by looking at it? All I know is that compared to my friend's TR6, mine has no connection running back to the inlet manifold. Thanks, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:07 pm

Dan, One way to see if it a retard or advance would be to attach a pipe to the vacuum unit then suck on the pipe noting which way the base plate in the distributor moves.
clockwise = advance / anti clockwise = retard.
The text below is from the link in my previous post although it is for a Europa the numbers may be applicable to an Elan ??

==============================================================================================

QUOTE:

"Look closely at the end of the vacuum advance/retard unit and you should see two sets of numbers. The stock Europa Twin Cam unit on a 41225 distributor is part number 54420293 with an retard code of 2-4-3. The MG 41288 unit that I am testing has a part number of 54415328 with an advance code of 5-13-10. A number like 2/4/3 means vacuum starts at 2" Hg, ends at 4" Hg and pulls 3 degrees advance/retard. All the numbers are distributor degrees and RPM, not crank. If you disconnect the vacuum hose, or pin the moving point plate to the stationary plate, vacuum advance/retard is disabled."

===============================================================================================
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanern » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:13 pm

"Is there a simple way to tell by looking at it?"

You can tell by looking at the vacuum unit itself. The vacuum unit pulls the points base in the direction of the vacuum hose connection. The T/C distributor rotation is counterclockwise. In the case of my Stromberg-equipped Federal car, the distributor vacuum unit is for vacuum retard, i.e., the vacuum pulls the points base in the counterclockwise direction. If it were a vacuum advance, the vacuum would pull the points base in the opposite direction of distributor rotation.

Clumsy explanation, I know.
Ernie
Florida, USA
elanern
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stovekjj » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:01 pm

my old workshop manual (i've got a federal S3) states:
"on no account should the vacuum mechanism on the 25D distributors be connected"
Page L14 / Manual 26T327

a good start for static timing would be 18 BTDC
don't know about the springs.
stovekjj
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: