Jim Boone's Unibrain Elan Registry is still active

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:56 am

http://elanregistry.org/index.php

Mark Doubet and I were talking on the phone yesterday about the Federal Sprint wiring yesterday (what a joy to work on) and I asked if he had registered his S2 with Tim Mees Type 26 registry and Mark asked about Jim Boones site that has all of the 2 seat Elans. Well its still around with 232 entries including 5 or 6 26r. Kind of a low number (out of 8000 plus built) but I never added any of my beaters to it so that would bump those numbers up some. If you haven't had a look (there are a few new folk on this forum) the link above will get you there and maybe some folks can add a few of their own.

Gary
Last edited by garyeanderson on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:50 pm

Thanks to everyone that has added their Elan to Jim's registry.
6 new Elan's added since I posted this 24 hours ago, thats a big number. When people ask "how many are still in existance" there is little to go on except for those people that add their cars to these registries. Some day I'll add all of mine too. :) :wink:
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Unibrain » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:35 pm

And I'm still around too. I haven't been too active on the lists but stop in every now and again.

I have ideas to make the registry better and with winter fast approaching in Oregon, I might even get to them.

Jim
Unibrain
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:43 am

Looks like 26 new entries since this topic started 4 days ago. I added 8 more a few minutes ago so that skews the numbers a bit but it looks like folks want to see the "How Many" question answered. I hope that everyone will add there Elan and if Jim can find the time over the winter to allow folks to edit their entries (to fix screwups like Scituate, Massachusetts being in Austrailia) that would be great. Maybe when thats done he could add a duplicate for the Plus 2's so there would be a new home for them also.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:12 am

Jim, Gary

Power to your elbows! I continue to attempt to get to know of every Sprint that is still in existence, whether on the road, in restoration or in a barn. It is not easy. Of course, not every existing Elan owner reads this forum (though they should!), neither do they all share the same degree of enthusiasm some of us do for finding out these and other related relevant facts to 'our cars'.

If you go to the link at the bottom of this page http://www.lotuselansprint.com/index.asp?pageid=85044 of my web site you will find the data, as far as I know it currently, for Sprints. If you then look at all those where the date of first registration or sale is recorded against them, it will give you some idea of the numbers of existing cars I know of right now. I do know of more, but just don't have sufficient data on them yet for them to be included.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:24 am

garyeanderson wrote:Looks like 26 new entries since this topic started 4 days ago. I added 8 more a few minutes ago so that skews the numbers a bit but it looks like folks want to see the "How Many" question answered. I hope that everyone will add there Elan and if Jim can find the time over the winter to allow folks to edit their entries (to fix screwups like Scituate, Massachusetts being in Austrailia) that would be great. Maybe when thats done he could add a duplicate for the Plus 2's so there would be a new home for them also.

Gary

Made my duty too.
Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:47 am

Hi Tim

I am sure that you know I have been to your site many times. I am interested in all Elan's and though I don't own a Sprint I can understand and appreciate your dedication to finding out as much as you can about ALL sprints. Being a subset of Elan's produced as a culmination of 11 years of production and in my own very narrow view the end of the initial idea of what a two-seat sports car should be. After this point in time, the Lotus idea of "moving up market" and the U.S. governments idea of what was "safe" all but ended my idea of what a sports car should feel like to drive. After driving the Monster Miata V8 that my friend recently bought you just can?t hide what the extra weight does to car. When the last Elan rolled out of the factory it?s was something akin to the Don McLean song ?American Pie? with the line ?the day the music died? and still brings a tear to my eye whenever I hear it or even think about it. There are several of us here on the forum that share that same feelings and are out to spread the word that every thing that has hit the road since is just not the same and never can or will be again.

Gary
:(
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: John Larkin » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:28 pm

I've added my two:- 7297 and 8559.

John Larkin
1967 S3SE FHC, 1974 Rover P6B, 1949 Lancia Aprilia
John Larkin
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:02 pm

Jim's registry has 264 entries as of today, I believe there is a duplicate or two in there but 32 new entries is a healthy percentage. I did some counting and broke it up according to what I am interested in and 110 of these Elans are type 26, either S1, S2 or 26r. Breaking it down further, 40 of those were S1 and 70 were S2. The question of how many S2's that was the recent hubcap post is a bit closer to an answer.
elan-f14/how-many-the-road-t18991.html

If you haven?t sent Tim Mees info on your Type 26 please do so, he really needs all of our help to get a realistic idea of the number of early Elan's left.
Site
http://www.type26register.com/
Info needed
http://www.type26register.com/register.htm
Mail
[email protected]

If you havn't been to TRW99's web page please spend some time there, Tim Wilkes has done a great job of breaking out the Sprint data and myths so that folks don't get burned when looking to purchase the last of the great Convertable's and Coupe's
http://www.lotuselansprint.com/index.asp?pageid=41772

This Leaves the S3 and S4 as lonesome orphans, does anyone feel the passion to adopt these great cars and document all of the info that is needed to understand more fully what they are? this would be a huge undertaking as I believe that these are the bulk of the production.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Unibrain » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:27 am

The Lotus Elan Registry has been updated with several new features.
Unibrain
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:37 am

Thanks Jim. I just registered.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:11 am

The registry has several broken links. These mainly link to personal websites for the owners car, which have become outdated. There are several places to register information about your car, and it is difficult to remember where all the places the site is referenced.

A good example is Morton Segal, whose site used to have a section on his beautiful blue Elan before he moved on to something else.

Any chance of getting these links fixed? I am sure there are tools that will crawl a site and report on broken links. 15 years ago, I would use a tool to crawl our corporate web site to report on broken links in case I screwed up when adding or modifying it.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Unibrain » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:12 pm

I show three broken links. I'm hoping the owners will login and update the links. If they don't I'll remove them in a few days
Unibrain
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Mistaya » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:22 pm

Hi Jim,

Glad you got the time to get the registry going again, and the email reminder.

We've moved to the Oregon coast so there are three Lotus' in the registry here. Hope to use the rain festival this fall and winter to get the clutch fixed and be on the road.

Slainte.

Mistaya
Mistaya
New-tral

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:52 pm

garyeanderson wrote:http://www.unibrain.org/elan_registry/view_cars.php

Mark Doubet and I were talking on the phone yesterday about the Federal Sprint wiring yesterday (what a joy to work on) and I asked if he had registered his S2 with Tim Mees Type 26 registry and Mark asked about Jim Boones site that has all of the 2 seat Elans. Well its still around with 232 entries including 5 or 6 26r. Kind of a low number (out of 8000 plus built) but I never added any of my beaters to it so that would bump those numbers up some. If you haven't had a look (there are a few new folk on this forum) the link above will get you there and maybe some folks can add a few of their own.

Gary

Well its been three and a half months since this was first posted and a lot of activity was generated by bringing this important registry out into the light. Lots of folk stop in for a look to see whats new on Elan.net, there doesn't seem to be the kind of daily activity as there once was so I am bringing the old thread back up to "advertize" Jims hard work and dedication. When I started this topic there were 232 entries (I put the numbers in my first post for a reason, I can't remember sh!t), here it is 112 days later and the total is up to 384 including 43 Plus2's of all flavors. I thought it would be a lot higher as the old Plus2 registry had over 290 as a standalone registry. Where are all of the Plus2's that folk were talking about? 109 Elans added in 112 days is a great thing, I don't think we will ever know how many are still left in the planet but with every ones help we may get a better idea. For all of you worried about theft, Jim has taken the last names off so anonomous type folks can still hide. I don't think you need to fill in all the fields (even wrong data is better than no data). So this is another call to add your rides to the list to help everyone understand how few or how many are left.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: