2022 Monterey 26r vs cobra

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:42 pm

Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:22 am

As impressive is seeing all the other cars he overhauled in the race - many looked to be standing still!
Illustrates well how the Elan must be a menace mixed up with the big stuff in a race! Well done!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:24 pm

I don't understand how this guy can be fast. Even on the straights he's flipping the wheel all about. Every flip is a lateral acceleration that should quickly unstick tires at the limit.

And I don't understand why a definitive pass was not made much earlier, since, it seems anyone who can chase another car so closely is actually in the faster vehicle.

So I expect to learn something. John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TWebb » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:12 pm

The Cobra and the Elan make their lap time in vastly different ways. Should the Elan out brake and kill its exit speed the Cobra will just out horsepower the Elan to the next corner. As a result the Elan needed to choose the spot to pass so as to make it stick.

I was there watching the race since I had a driver in this class. The Elan's corner speed versus the Cobra was significantly higher, but the straight line speed of the Cobra far exceeded that of the Elan. Lap times on the silver Cobra and the Lotus were very close.
TWebb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:22 pm

TWebb wrote:The Cobra and the Elan make their lap time in vastly different ways. Should the Elan out brake and kill its exit speed the Cobra will just out horsepower the Elan to the next corner. As a result the Elan needed to choose the spot to pass so as to make it stick.

I was there watching the race since I had a driver in this class. The Elan's corner speed versus the Cobra was significantly higher, but the straight line speed of the Cobra far exceeded that of the Elan. Lap times on the silver Cobra and the Lotus were very close.

Are the Elans on historic racing tyres ie Dunlop crossplys?
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TWebb » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:25 pm

The 26R was on Avons.
TWebb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:32 pm

baileyman wrote:I don't understand how this guy can be fast. Even on the straights he's flipping the wheel all about. Every flip is a lateral acceleration that should quickly unstick tires at the limit.

And I don't understand why a definitive pass was not made much earlier, since, it seems anyone who can chase another car so closely is actually in the faster vehicle.

+1.
The best at the wheel, HHH1950:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QpFF4GaS2A
Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TWebb » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:50 pm

Old English White...

I don't know either of the drivers but just for comparison purposes the YouTube video you posted showed a lap time of roughly 1:45. The kid in the recent YouTube video ran a low of 1:40.3 (may have been a 1:40.4). That is a huge difference.
TWebb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:29 pm

TWebb wrote:...The Elan's corner speed versus the Cobra was significantly higher, but the straight line speed of the Cobra far exceeded that of the Elan. ...

That's exactly what I expected to see, but I have to say, there are only a couple instances where it looks that way to me. Usually, it's the Elan on the Cobra butt the whole way around. Is the Cobra driver timid on the throttle? Is the Elan timid in the bends? Is the Cobra unusually well set up for the bends? Is the Cobra motor weak?
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:42 pm

baileyman wrote:I don't understand how this guy can be fast. Even on the straights he's flipping the wheel all about. Every flip is a lateral acceleration that should quickly unstick tires at the limit.

I don't race because having tried it I know I am not good at it but I have tracked a few times and I found that when (trying to) drive as the 26R driver did, my times were better.

HE is not flipping the wheel about, the car is and as for the 'definitive' pass - does it really matter when he did so?

Really.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:27 am

Horatio seems to have some seat time in that car.
Good show sir!
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:19 am

Clearly a light and powerful Elan, but with a limited gear box life :) and driven to the limits, An Elan on the limits is very unstable

The Cobra I find hard to judge but looks to be slow out of the corners to me so down on power maybe. it should walk away more in the straights also.

but a great video

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:12 pm

That was terrific! :D
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 2mAn » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:17 pm

Seeing this in person was awesome. I have some footage too, I will share once its all done.

Im bummed we didnt get to see what happened to the Cobra. I was watching this live and they were battling then suddenly the Cobra was no longer in it. Looks like something happened when going through the traffic as they passed cars on opposite sides
-Simon
2mAn
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 2mAn » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:46 pm

https://youtu.be/aBEOCBJ0AfY

Just a quick little video I made with some of my pics and trackside videos of the Lotus and it’s run group... oh and some Ferrari 250SWB content :wink:
-Simon
2mAn
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: