Racecar Wiring

PostPost by: TWebb » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:25 pm

Anyone have a wiring schematic they used for an Elan racecar?

I created a harness for a mini racecar a number of years ago. Was hoping to shortcut the process a bit.

Cheers

I
TWebb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:54 am

An interesting question! Your terminology implies that you are building a dedicated competition car with a high degree of electronic measurement and control. yes?

A schematic for an Elan will not be any different to a general racecar schematic though. I recently finished my MGB 5L hill climb car and used the attached schematic for my learning aid as it showed clearly the separation of sensor and heavy loads. I only had wipers and fans extra loads that I fed onto the dirty bus. The fuel pump was an interesting one though as it was in fact controlled through the Emerald ECU and so as not to spike the sensor bus, I used a relay with the coil on the clean bus and the load on the dirty bus - I could not determine, and still cannot, if a relay coil switching on and off created a 'spike' though, so maybe I should have put it onto the dirty bus. Someone might correct me...

This is the schematic. The execution will be a diffent subject where you will have to take in any regulations imposed by your scrutinising body, fusing and cable size etc.

Full_Clean1.png and
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TWebb » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:34 pm

Thanks.

Appreciate the drawing.

Tim
TWebb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lance54 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:06 pm

My moto is keep it simple.

7C2DCEB0-5AE7-409D-804C-757FE5EAAD77.jpeg and

Revised.
Last edited by lance54 on Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lance54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:26 pm

lance54 wrote:
D876D834-DA2C-4ED6-9A72-915FFA59E50B.jpeg

My moro is keep it simple.

Completely agree. I noticed the two master switches in the diagram. I have mine on the ground(earth) cable.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:36 pm

You illustrate a good layout for a classic car that is used for competition.

By the terminology 'racecar' implies use of electronics all over the place requiring a split of dirty and clean bus. Also by the terminology, a 'racecar' will not use the chassis as an earth.

I did query this with the OP..!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TWebb » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:52 pm

Clark,

Thanks for the schematic. That works well.

Sorry for the confusion with the term racecar. Didn't know that racecar signified full data acquisition, etc...
Will be racing an Elan as a vintage competition car.
TWebb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lance54 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:07 pm

One addition that is not on the diagram.

I do have a big fuseable kink in the Alternator to Battery Cable.

If a alternator is used get a large diameter pulley on it to reduce its speed on a constant high RPM engine.
lance54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lance54 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:09 am

FYI... my wiring diagram is of my Elan racecar.

You will notice no fuses. This is a US Spec Vintage Racer not a FIA Spec. No wipers, no headlamps or tail lamps. no turn indicators, no horn, no heater fan, no windscreen washer, no heated screens, and a mechanical tachometer.
No timing computer or data logger no GPS and a battery powered transponder. So no high load circuits needing fuses and no problems in more that 30 years at the track.

A early Elan has only 2 fuses and they are dedicated to the horn, heater motor and cigar lighter.

I have been asked for some labels on the switches and components which I'll add and then repost the diagram.
lance54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TWebb » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:17 pm

Thanks Clark!
TWebb
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: