Racing in europe post brexit

PostPost by: batfish » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:15 pm

Just been reading the Motorsport uk news. It appears that if you want to take a race car to race in europe post brexit you need a carnet costing £380 for admin and either a refundable deposit of 40% the value of the car or a premium based on 40% of the value. Think this will deter alot of clubmen racers from going to europe when covid conditions allow
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:18 am

This is being bemoaned on another EU forum by European members saying that their classic racing events will be hit hard as invariably the best prepared cars of their marque come from the UK. It is a double whammy for them as UK racers combine the events with a holiday where they can take in a few events. So tourism will suffer.

Is there no end to what this idiotic brexit is doing to the man in the street? I now have three items sitting with delivery companies in England who are not delivering to the EU until further notice.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:07 am

on the bright side,it would leave the average continental racer better chances not to get lapped so many times, so this purportedly limiting measure would tend to motivate me to complete my GTS project... ;)
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:32 pm

Brexit gets blamed by the remoaners, but it seems to me that most of the recent 'brexit' news items are just petulant actions by EU governments that didn't get their own way, or anti-COVID precautions which are nothing to do with Brexit.

So where (if any) are the news stories about problems caused by UK government's actions after Brexit?
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:04 pm

Well, we'll see how it all shakes down once the Covid crisis is over and all the dog in a manger petulance from various EU governments is resolved. I would have to say though that I'm seeing plenty of the (predicted) difficulties that were forecast as a result of leaving the EU but very few (if any) of the gains that were supposed to come from regaining our national freedom. Those, I presume, are more long term and will turn up in due course. If so maybe they could give us a sneak preview, some idea of when they plan to arrive, because it does seem more winter of discontent than broad sunlit uplands as far forward as I can see.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:55 pm

nmauduit wrote:on the bright side,it would leave the average continental racer better chances not to get lapped so many times, so this purportedly limiting measure would tend to motivate me to complete my GTS project... ;)

:D :D :D
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:20 pm

The impact for a hundreds of racers is very frustrating, but historic motor sport is a luxury, not an essential way of life. I am much more concerned at the loss of livelihoods, skills, and the impact on families from brexit.

Many of the benefits of being European have been taken for granted and besmirched in England. This xenophobia is very sad but has its roots in non-existant civil education in the UK.

As recently observed by the leader of HM opposition (I paraphrase), there is no need to campaign to rejoin. UK public opinion will need to change very substantially on "both sides of the house" before Europe needs to reconsider the position of England and Wales.

In the meantime, it is important to forgive and help those who made this mistake to change their minds. We all make mistakes!
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Brad B » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:32 pm

“ take a race car to race in europe post brexit you need a carnet costing £380 for admin and either a refundable deposit of 40% the value of the car or a premium based on 40% of the value. “
Was this fee structure in place before EU existence? If it was like this in 1993, that’s a sad consequence of brexit.
If it wasn’t in place, it’s another kind of sad. I’m ultimately optimistic about humans, and hope the charges became reasonable in time.
Brad B
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:17 pm

Pre the EU / Common Market there was always a Carnet to be taken, which was at £XXX at the time, you just have to read some of the old racing driver's books (Stirling Moss etc), but whether there wwas a "refundable deposit" payment for X% of the value of the car, I'm not sure.
It's also widely reported in books that most race teams included in their budget an extra percentage of cash to "convince" border guards going into certain countries that they should be allowed through quicker.
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Seamus » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:59 pm

When I first raced in Europe pre Maastricht you needed a carnet which was basically a manifest of everything on board your transport to prove to customs that what you have taken out of the country was the same as what you brought back in.

You got the carnet from the RAC which you completed yourself, there was no agent needed back then (more jobs for the boys). The fee must have been of low value as it hasn't left a scar!
Seamus Doyle

1968 Elan S4 45/8357
1968 MGC Roadster
2002 MG TF160
2008 Lotus 2-Eleven
Seamus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Seamus » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:59 pm

billwill wrote:Brexit gets blamed by the remoaners, but it seems to me that most of the recent 'brexit' news items are just petulant actions by EU governments that didn't get their own way, or anti-COVID precautions which are nothing to do with Brexit.

So where (if any) are the news stories about problems caused by UK government's actions after Brexit?

Motorsport UK message:

https://www.motorsportuk.org/movement-o ... -Ha6COyCB0
Seamus Doyle

1968 Elan S4 45/8357
1968 MGC Roadster
2002 MG TF160
2008 Lotus 2-Eleven
Seamus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:26 pm

The Motorsport message is nice and clear.

Thank you Seamus.
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: toomspj » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:19 pm

That’s a shame. Mind you we’ve got great circuits in this country - I certainly don’t need to add those fees to my budget!

I think there may be lots of benefits from Brexit, but as Jacob Rees Mogg said, it may not be for another 10-20 years which is too late for me.

So far all I keep doing is hand out cash in fees to satisfy EU processes - it’s absolutely bonkers and entirely as predicted.

Paul
Turning money into noise!
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:01 am

@ Paul

Leaving a Customs Union and the largest economic bloc inevitably brings costs associated with the extra friction. It is all part of "taking back control" of borders, bureaucrats etc

The monies in this case do not end up in the hands of the EU (see the article) : this is classical international paperwork.
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Seamus » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:23 am

A bit of background and history to carnets:

https://www.fia.com/history-cpd
Seamus Doyle

1968 Elan S4 45/8357
1968 MGC Roadster
2002 MG TF160
2008 Lotus 2-Eleven
Seamus