MSA approved cages

PostPost by: gav » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:36 pm

Hi all

I'm looking for the best value MSA approved and certified cage for hills and sprints (which for some reason seems more onerous than racing but I don't know why. I know that TTR and Kelvedon both do them but they cost fortunes.

Are there any alternatives in the UK please?

Thanks
Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:01 pm

Hello Gavin

There are other alternatives listed on the FIA database which are supplied by Andy Robinson and Custom Cages.

I understand that the former is about 3 times the price of the TTR cage and I'm not sure about the latter.

As you will have spotted there are two TTR cages. The "1993" vintage one fitted to many Elans (occasionally sold second hand on the forum) and the new specification one which is a complete welded cassette unit.

I'm not sure how fast you plan to go but I would have thought that for hill climbing 1993 TTR cage makes sense for this. It would not be my personal choice for track events.

Note that the new TTR cage also requires some extra attachments to the top of the rear chassis tops (you can borrow a jig to do this). Obviously all these details add up!

IMG_5684 Mount #2.jpg and

Andrew
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:46 pm

Thanks Andrew

That's very helpful.

Do you have any other photos of the adaptor that you made please - ideally an elevation or two.

All the best
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:50 pm

Hi Gavin.

'Fraid not. Car is 600 km away and Mrs Patel has slapped quarantining on foreigners like me!

A
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:53 pm

Ah - Fair enough

I can see that being a limiting factor.

Hope you're surviving OK and thanks again

Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: