Plus 2 Race Car

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:06 pm

Posted this beautiful Plus 2 under For Sale, but figured it would get buried pretty quickly. Looks like a very nice build. What do the experienced racers think? No direct response from the seller regarding the car's weight; thinking maybe 300 or 400 pounds heavier than a similarly prepared Elan?

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-e ... -race-car/

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:02 am

Looks like a nicely prepared car. I would guess around 800 to 850 kg. 162HP at the rear wheels in a 1600 twin cam is not easy to get but at the top end of whats possible with an original head and maybe a bit lacking in torque for a relatively heavy car.

i am always interested in what cams people are running when they claim this sort of HP. You can get big HP but the power band is 8300 to 8500 rpm :roll:

On a fast flowing track it should be a nice competitive car but may struggle on a tighter stop go style circuit with its weight

cheers
Rohan

PS I would have taken the bumpers off if racing a PLus 2 especially the rear one :D
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:20 pm

rgh0 wrote:Looks like a nicely prepared car. I would guess around 800 to 850 kg. 162HP at the rear wheels in a 1600 twin cam is not easy to get but at the top end of whats possible with an original head and maybe a bit lacking in torque for a relatively heavy car.

PS I would have taken the bumpers off if racing a PLus 2 especially the rear one :D

Thanks Rohan. Excellent points.

I had not thought of the trade-off between HP and needed mid-range torque for the Plus 2. Our 'local' track (actually three hours away) is anything but fast and flowing. Same with a couple closer to home in the planning stages.

The seller has responded on BaT with a weight estimate of approx. 1400 lb (~640 kg), which sounds unbelievably light for a Plus 2 with a cage. I expect if the car were actually that light it would be very quick indeed. I see another post that mentions a different competitive Plus 2 that was about 775 kg, which squares better with your weight estimate.

Ah well, this one is really just a dream for me. Our Canadian dollar and the entire local economy has been hammered by low oil and gas prices. I question if either of the two proposed local tracks will proceed in the foreseeable future.

I did do a quick survey of some removable bits, like the bumpers. Besides a minor weight savings, some of the more difficult to get parts might be worth a bit. :)

Cheers!

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: roblotus79 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:44 pm

Stu,

I just noticed on the dyno sheet provided that the second line is the AFR. I thought/assumed it was the torque and thought 138ftlbs not bad:) Oops.
50/2180 1969 Elan Plus 2
1990 Esprit Turbo SE
1986 Carrera 3.2
1982 Turbo Esprit - SOLD
1970 Europa S2 - SOLD
roblotus79
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: