Lightening 26R Style Chassis

PostPost by: el-saturn » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:50 pm

...................I agree entirely and am really curious to see how long they'll survive, BECAUSE i consider, even aircraft quality aluminium to be the parmesan cheese of metalurgy: fatigue is the problem fellas and also if you're looking for stiffness its lacking the e-modulous - so use titanium ! the difference is the more expensive material and maybe a new turning tool: labour is +/- equal. wish i had a decent lathe, come to think of it!! sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:22 pm

Thanks guys. I phoned TTR this morning and talked to the guy there about alloy rear hubs. He said they will not make or sell them due to the problems we have mentioned. He also said he had seen them break. He was also disparaging of Kelveden which was unfortunate.

So, I will stick with steel rear hubs but I think I will get alloy front hubs--different situation there, isn't there?
Last edited by Davidb on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HAIRY » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:28 pm

Talking of cheese, a friend who used to race a Lotus 18 was looking at ways to increase its performance came to the conclusion he could get the best results by putting himself on a diet!
HAIRY
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:39 pm

Personally I'm already down to 145 lbs-if I get any lighter I will blow away! But yes, a lot of guys racing (and not racing!) could lose weight to their advantage. What isn't there doesn't have to be accelerated, braked and cornered etc.
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: