Silverstone May 17 2013 + Video link

PostPost by: toomspj » Thu May 23, 2013 6:02 am

I got to race at Silverstonelast weekend on GP circuit in the HSCC Guards Trophy which is for FIA cars pre 1966. It also included the E-Type challenge series. About 60 cars qualified and raced which meant for quite a packed circuit. I was in my GTS (26R Clone - Pete) Elan which isnt quite sorted out yet - the handling just isnt right, but with too much work and lousy weather there hasn't been any testing to set it up, so what can I expect!

Anyway had a fun race, seemed to spend most of my time dicing with E-Types, had a pit stop where the clutch pedal had come adrift and lost exactly a lap. I'm well impressed with some of the drivers sticking those long E-type noses into tight gaps with such precision - not a single touch in the whole race.

So finished low down (about 25th) but really would have come about 5th without the problem - not good enough so I ll get working on it. This is my fiorst season driving on the old fashioned Dunlop M section tyres - they look great and are fun to drive on - very progressive and a reasonable amount of grip (lots at the front, less at the rear, but we'll balance that up in due course).

Next outing is Spa

I've attached a link to on board You-Tube it was a 40 minute race but I've cut it down to around 7 min - still a bit long, but it takes time to edit....

http://youtu.be/KyAl-6XNfG0

Paul
Turning money into noise!
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu May 23, 2013 6:37 am

Paul

You'll have to get that rev counter fixed I'd like to see what you're revving it to...?

What's the display in your radio hole?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: toomspj » Thu May 23, 2013 7:57 am

Rev counter is wrong side of speedo - I do plan to move it. Rev to around 8500 in top.

It's a clock / timer in the radio hole. Races are typically 40 min (60 min at Spa) with compulsory pit stop in a designated window, so clock helps me manage that.

P
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pete d » Thu May 23, 2013 12:21 pm

Paul ,excellent video ,just reminds me how much I miss racing ! when are you out next ,regards Pete.
pete d
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu May 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Great video, exciting to watch your battles with the E types 8)
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pete Shepherd » Thu May 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Great video Paul, thanks for posting it. Will you be at Snetterton for the 3 hour race?

Pete
Pete Shepherd
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: toomspj » Fri May 24, 2013 7:49 am

I won't be at Snetterton - too much work, but something has to pay for the racing.

Next outing is at the Spa Summer Classic which is 14th June. Then next UK outing is Saturday 13th July at Brands Hatch on GP circuit - with luck I'll have the car a bit more sorted by then. There will be three races with Elans competing - my old car runs pretty much at the front of Historic Road Sports still.

After that it's up to Croft 3/4th August.

Hopefully see some of you at the races.

Paul
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Pete Shepherd » Fri May 24, 2013 11:49 am

Thanks Paul, I'll see you at Brands, good luck with the handling.

Pete
Pete Shepherd
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Fri May 24, 2013 2:29 pm

Paul
Just watched the video on my new 42" TV that has You Tube installed. It was just like sitting in your passenger seat!

Never done any racing but went on a track day at Oulton Park last month. A bit nerve racking for the first hour or so but once I had done a few laps began to rather ejnoy it. Looking out for the next track day now

Attached a pic of me leading the pack!! ( ie everyone waiting to overtake me)

Richard
Attachments
image.jpg and
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: