F.I.A. GTS rules interpretation

PostPost by: davidholroyd » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:34 pm

Re Dash, I have a Stack Dash but with original clocks behind it. This I was told was OK. Just more reliable than the old clocks that had a habit of dying.
davidholroyd
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan d bell » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:53 pm

our elan s2 (which was a gts in period, to see as found pictures google mmy599c and follow the thread) is slowly coming back to life, i wonder if we have gone too far with the engine. i believe that the crank oil seal should be rope and the engine built for us to fia k spec by AGR of dundee has a rope one , i cannot help but wonder if all app k cars have gone this far or indeed if scrutineers bother to check or even CAN check. as a matter of interest the engine has been dynoed at about 170bhp so might be competitive.
alan d bell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Vic » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:07 pm

I think some of the racers are reluctant to say what crank they are using. The rule book doesn't specifically talk about crankshafts, unless the general rule of "all parts must be period correct" applies (I'm going on memory of the rules). The rule book does talk about oil pans (wet sump) and ignition, but not internal parts. I would like to see some other opinions on this before I build an engine. Based on some of the previous posts, my opinion is that the FIA is more concerned about appearance than what they can't see, and internal parts are therefore free. Same for internal transmission and limited slip.

Vic
Vic
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:43 pm

Donnington HSCC meeting today in the Guards race, Lotus Elan running with Lucas electronic ignition.
My copy of the FIA Appendix K 2012 regs states Cars of Period F homologated with electronic ignition
systems and cars of Periods G1 and G2 may use a nonperiod electronic ignition system. Lotus Elans where not homologated with electronic ignition.

Does anyone bother policing the rules?
Attachments
P3170012 (1280x960).jpg and
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: davidholroyd » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:18 pm

My Engine man Craig Beck tells me the HSCC are fine with simple electronic ignition. I was suprised as I expected it to run points. My original rally engine had points and if I won my class or came high up the order in a Historic Stage Rally it was one of the things Paul Loverage would check. He was very fair and we agreed the spec of the Elan based on 67 Homologation Papers .. the cut off for Historic Rallyings 1st age class, It meant I could run dry sump as against the curremt FIA spec which has to be wet. As Paul T says.. as long as the car weighs the same , actually has a 1600 engine and we have the same brakes and tyres if some one has something not quite period so what. The car should look right, not a kit car, Carbon bits are a no but a bit under seat to make the car safer is a different matter. Different rules for different clubs are a pain. For exapmle for HSCC you run M section tyres but for the Masters at Donnington I have just been reading the rules and its L section tyres, another ? 800 .. so I do not think I will be there.
davidholroyd
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: