Racing Elans - who, where were the pictures taken and when

PostPost by: vstibbard » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:11 am

From this photo of Barry Wood's Shapecraft 26R which is subject of extensive discusison in another sadly dead thread, it wuld seem that he ran a harder sprng combination than most based on the attitude of the car mid corner.

this is the car recently photographed racng again in France, that was returned to Shapecraft spec by Tony Thompson Dave any other info?

Please note, copyright for this photo is owned by Ted Walker of Ferret Photographics.
Attachments
Barry Wood Shapecraft Brand Aug 64.pdf
(745.04 KiB) Downloaded 605 times
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:24 am

Michael Gartlan Castle Comb 66 Haglem 100.pdf
(678.81 KiB) Downloaded 584 times
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:03 pm

vstibbard wrote:Thought these links would be interesting found whilst browsing the net on holidays from Pete Taylor Photography, with quite a few interesting Elan pictures:

Where is this Shapecraft Elan now?
http://www.petetaylor.org.uk/photo_1673 ... id=1673723
All links to Pete Taylor Photography

I'm missing the terrific information that was in the 26R thread and all the amazing shots of 1ELA (Shapecraft) that has now lost its momentum, as a 26R owner (26-S2-40) I'm hoping these reignite the sharing of more period history, period pictures anecdotes and experiences.

Cheers Vaughan

Update on Mike Humphrey's Shapecraft 26/R- I saw it yesterday at the Autosport Racing Car Show at the NEC Birmingham UK; it is looking perfect and I believe is ready to go back on track this season.

Vaughan, you mentioned Ted Walker and Ferret Photos earlier up the thread, did you know that he used to own one of the IWR Gold Bugs?
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi Pete,
I'm over on business, flew in Thursday night and had day free so drove up, enjoyed the show and had a good look at this one, I'd been told it was Mike Shry(i)ver/Simon Hadfields car which I was surprised about, but then I I think one of them bought the rough Shapecraft with flares and roof made into a targa that was auctioned off last year.

I'll post my shots when I get home.

I also had a long chat with the owner of the White/Green stripe Shapecraft which has been raced by a young fellow this past year.

Seems like there are potentially three possibly four Shapecraft Elans racing this year.

Cheers

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:38 pm

Vaughan, glad you saw this car, sorry I missed you! There are usually more Elans at this show; even Lotus Drivers' Club seem to be more Elise-orientated these days. I hope you saw the Classic Team Lotus display; all black and gold cars this time; I saw a few of the old Lotus boys on the stand there.
I think that Simon Hadfield restored this car and ran it for a previous client (not sure if it was Michael Schriver, he was driving a red 26/R last time I saw him), I understand that Simon has refreshed the car for Mike Humphreys (we must get him on here, if he has not already arrived). If Simon is fixing up that chopped-about Shapecraft, it will be a good 'un when it is done.

Such a shame that the forum lost bonsaichris and ELA1, I've tried to contact both but to no avail.

The Coy's auction was rather disappointing- some expensive "kit-cars, evocations, tributes and fakes"!
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jabingb » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:57 pm

This thread is really old but I'm going to use it to try and ferret out info on my S2 26R. It raced in the Bahamas Speedweek in 1965 and 66 and I believe stayed on Nassau until it came to the US in 68/9. I also believe it was yellow in the day. I have located the original owner who bought it from Dutchess, shipped it to Nassau and raced it those 2 years after which he sold it to ??? That's the link I'm trying to connect to it's arrival in the Baltimore area.
c13-10002.jpg and
Jerry:
'62 S2 Elite | '69 S4 Elan FHC | '00 S1 Elise Sport 190
jabingb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Vaughan » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:42 am

I'd suggest Dave Hughes who's on this forum is probably a good person to reach out to as he's owned a few 26R's and is constantly keeping track of known 26Rs.

Cheers

Vaughan
Vaughan
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: