26r identities and other info

PostPost by: 1ela » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:11 pm

Hello bonsaichris
I sent a message to your email direct , a couple of days ago.
Will try to send you a pm to see if it works

Hello RIB
I have no idea how to get your pic but would love to see it.
Any chance of retransmission onto the forum ??

I remember Les Arnold's won one race with nr.106, hence the number I put on R4, also Team Surbiton Motors were in a supporting race at the 1964 British (European) GP at Brands Hatch. (That event maybe bonsaichris pic taken at DRUIDS, dropping down to Bottom Bend)
I had lots of relative info but probably passed it on when R4 was sold.

Possible photographers were Selwyn-Smith (as mentioned by Chris) or possibly Max Le Grand

Michael
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:13 pm

1ela wrote:R4 collection

Comparing photos... just wondering...

Lip "spoiler" to aid in keeping rear window clean and/or vent to allow through air flow???

Shapecrafts.jpg and

Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:34 pm

ardee_selby wrote:
1ela wrote:R4 collection

Comparing photos... just wondering...

Lip "spoiler" to aid in keeping rear window clean and/or vent to allow through air flow???

Shapecrafts.jpg

Richard

I believe that it is a vent to keep the cockpit cool

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bonsaichris » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:22 pm

Ummm the extra Quarter lights and the vents looked good, may also have helped ventilation, but in those days our knowledge of aero was a little less than nil - I speak for Surbiton Motors, but quite possibly for others as well.
bonsaichris
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:39 am

Hi all
Yes that was a vital component of the ventilation system!
More R4 thoughts when Chris mentioned the prang at Zandvoort - the doors were not a pair, but I can't remember the difference.
The steering-wheel was a very comfortable small-diameter padded-rim 'MAGNA' (produced by J.A.Pearce company?) Maybe not an original fitment.
The k/o spinners are another interesting area. At first I had a good equal pair on the front, with two different on the back ie. 3 different types altogether.
One in particular was VERY light (mag or electron) The ears were relieved (cut-out) at the back and did not stick out as normal, but bent back towards the wheel-rim. Weighed absolutely nothing.
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bonsaichris » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:19 pm

THe bulk of the damage was to the o/s, I am fairly sure the OSF wing and door were removed in the impact. A case where the seat belts saved Les`s life.
bonsaichris
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:28 pm

Well David perhaps it is time to produce this Lotus Factory document you allegedly possess and constanly refer to with each expert opinion -------Put and Ill shut up ---ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:31 am

Hi Ed
When I return from my vacation in Florida (which was paid for by the sale of 26R oil warning lights) I'll photocopy the relevant details for 26-S2-33 the car you constantly claim to own.

I think that will finally get you to shut up and stop moaning about opinions, information and recollections other members of the forum have that do not coincide with your ideals.

I will be back in the UK on the 13th Feb so will post the details that week.

Watch this space and prepare to stick your foot in your mouth once again.

Have a nice day

Dave Hughes
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:47 pm

Anyone else want to stake a claim on 26/R S2 33? :roll:

For more photos look here:
http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/post156958.html#p156958
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:47 pm

Seems to be a lot of provenance there.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:24 pm

Yes but already a hole in the provenance observed ( why did a 26R need to be turned into a race car?) and some significant changes in the headlight profiles over the years???

Personally I dont care, I believe in getting it on the track and enjoying it for what it is, not debating what it is worth or what its history is or not. Somehow I hope we can have a rational conversation about these things without getting personal.

cheers
Rohan
Last edited by rgh0 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Today, I'll surely made a few of you happy, this even if it's not about 26-S2-33
Please, enjoy that jewel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvyFJS5C ... 6wpOVQELv6
Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:43 pm

rgh0 wrote:Yes but already a hole in the provenance observed.

One less hole now, though!

rgh0 wrote:( why did a 26R need to be turned into a race car?) and some significant changes in the headlight profiles over the years???
cheers
Rohan

Because it was a rally car built by Ian Walkers, Rohan. There was a very ugly flat platform built in between the headlights to accomodate a bank of spot lights. There was also metal sheeting on the underside of the floor to afford some kind of protection. Obviously these were removed to get rid of unnessesary weight. For the same reason we removed the diff cooling system as well as we were only doing short HSCC races.

Bizarrely it had, as one scrutineer described it, a 'neck breaker' roll bar. This was a single hoop from the seat belt mounts and braced to the rear suspension turret bolt. I supose the navigator/co driver was suposed to duck if the car rolled while rallying! The 'scrute' allowed the car to race for the first time but we were advised it would not pass again so a full width bar was put in.

You might notice on my photograph in the rally Elan thread that there was a persex 'window' let into the hard top which we did not remove.

The headlamp change occured due to the car having been rebodied. As the Giordinelli car it has a front bumper. This was not the case when it was raced as you can see from the photo.
Attachments
Dave L Elan 2, Silverstone.JPG and
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:23 am

I would ask a question here but ---------ed
Attachments
P1010021.JPG
P1010021.JPG (17.13 KiB) Viewed 33539 times
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:34 am

hanks for explaining the history a little more

"The headlamp change occured due to the car having been rebodied. As the Giordinelli car it has a front bumper. This was not the case when it was raced as you can see from the photo"

I presume the headlights let into the bumper area was an IWR rally mod as well then

When was the car rebodied? and do you know what happened to the old body ?

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: