26r identities and other info

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:25 am

///???
Attachments
Copy_of_P1010049.jpg and
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:30 am

nice picture!
Last edited by gordont on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:09 am

Thanks Cobber :wink: ed

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:51 am

About Jackie Oliver's car,
I bought a set of small pictures (one is signed by J. Oliver , another show overnight work on the car), of its "as 26R serie1" period.
It started dark red, plain mag wheels, popup headlights... and was allready winning.
Far from its winning car at the french "Coupes de Paris" Montlh?ry sept 65', where he clearly drove an 26R S2 looking car, with flared wings, chinese eyes, short front bumper. Another car !?!
If having paid for them allow me to scan and show, please tell, as no visible names could be read for copyright.
Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:47 pm

FOUND THIS PIC AT THE START OF THE REASSEMBLY --HARD TO BELIEVE IT TURNED OUT THIS WELL this was barn fresh right off the truck ---chiken poop and all -ed
Attachments
lotus restoration 014.jpgCHASSIS .jpg and

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:14 pm

"That is clearly the car I posted a link to the model of back on the last page; LM 1964 driven by P.Gele/R.Richard, when did Jackie Oliver drive this one David? I'm more used to another 26/R being described as "the Jackie Oliver car".
Is that a period photo or a more recent one? Who is the copyright holder, could you post a link?"

Pete, Dave

The photo is on page 71 of the Wherrett book. There is no photographer acknowledged. The caption reads "Photographed at the 1964 Le Mans 24 Hours is the 26R of Richard Gele;" It goes on to say "Team Lotus entered a 26R driven by Jackie Oliver" but does not say this is his car, which it clearly is not.

In addition, 1962 was the last year Team Lotus entered Le Mans, when the French found fault with the Type 23 and Chapman swore Lotus would never again race at Le Mans. I also believe that Team Lotus never entered a 26R in any race, though they heavily supported the Walker team and that Ray Parsons, a Team Lotus mechanic, prepared and entered a 26R in his own name.

I hasten to add that I stand to be corrected on all this, but it seems to me that Jackie Oliver racing a 26R was either under his own name or another team. He didn't become a Lotus works driver until 1967, I believe.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:07 pm

trw99 wrote:........

The photo is on page 71 of the Wherrett book. There is no photographer acknowledged. The caption reads "Photographed at the 1964 Le Mans 24 Hours is the 26R of Richard Gele;" It goes on to say "Team Lotus entered a 26R driven by Jackie Oliver" but does not say this is his car, which it clearly is not.

Tim

The Wherrett book is a nice little thing, with some lovely photos; however some of the words are at odds with what is established as fact elsewhere. Allegedly.

Attached is the entry list and, unless anyone knows better, I'm assuming that car #66, entered by Ian Walker racing (no named drivers) was the car intended for Oliver. It is listed as DNA, presumably this means "did not arrive", although we are used to seeing DNS for "did not start".
http://www.formula2.net/1964.htm

The Walker Elan drivers who spring to mind from 64 are Whitmore, Hegbourne, Spence and Arundell but hey, what do I know? I was just out of short pants that year!

I have always been led to believe that Team Lotus did not run any Elans under their own name, although there may have been folks who ran green with a yellow stripe 26Rs.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi All
Recently been sent these pics from a friend in the USA.

Does anybody recognise the yellow car?

The Blue Grey car is Peter Pulver in 26-R-9.

The circuit is Thompson in CT in 1965

Cheers

original photographer unknown pics will be removed if requested by copyright holder
Attachments
1965%2001921.jpg and
1965%2002921.jpg and
1965%2003021.jpg and
Last edited by bigvalvehead on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:44 pm

Old English White wrote:About Jackie Oliver's car,
I bought a set of small pictures (one is signed by J. Oliver , another show overnight work on the car), of its "as 26R serie1" period.
It started dark red, plain mag wheels, popup headlights... and was allready winning.
Far from its winning car at the french "Coupes de Paris" Montlh?ry sept 65', where he clearly drove an 26R S2 looking car, with flared wings, chinese eyes, short front bumper. Another car !?!
If having paid for them allow me to scan and show, please tell, as no visible names could be read for copyright.

Christian,
The safe way to show your photos is to put them up with a disclaimer- "purchased prints, photographer unknown; will remove them if requested by copyright holder" or something like that.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:12 pm

64' 26R Serie1, Jackie Oliver.
Any other details (track, race), more than welcome (I have got an event for the winning #91...but need to be confirmed).

purchased prints, photographer unknown; will remove them if requested by copyright holder

Clearly pictures taken by a relative, different race numbers on the car. Please note that the quality of scans are now so good that the pictures are a lot better on screen, showing the "TTR replica" swirpot and ally rad next to a very standard cam cover...

Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:49 pm

Those steps adjacent to the finish line are a major clue (although not to me :oops: ), judging by the clothes and hair of the folks I'd say that the car was no more than 2 years old when the shots were taken. Fabulous! Did you buy any more? What size were the prints?
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:03 am

... Pete ,
The 26R was new.
Jackie Oliver develop its car on its own, as many.
The originals are about 9X7cm.
I bought 3 of them in a parts fair, from a 8 pictures lot. The last one, car on the grid, ball pen signed.
I ll always think about the rest of the lot, but the price for the complete set was the same than a author's edition's book of La Coterie 's book Jim Clarck; Life at team Lotus... Too much for my wallet!
Btw, you (and others) should have a close look to the 26R S2 in the other book from the same editor,
http://www.coteriepress.com/Products/19 ... topicid=57

...You may change your opinion about the Lotus team not entering any Elan ...

In the gallery:
http://www.coteriepress.com/Products/Ji ... topicid=49

Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:17 am

Christian,

That second photo is brilliant! It really tells a story.

Thanks for showing it.

Cheers - rd
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:59 pm

ardee_selby wrote:Christian,

That second photo is brilliant! It really tells a story.

Thanks for showing it.

Cheers - rd

Thx rd,
This picture wasn't the most interesting at first, but I picked it because the engine view, and the girl...
Just hope that it ll be followed by some others.
If I was able to found these in France, you too must have some jewels...
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Old English White wrote:... Pete ,

...You may change your opinion about the Lotus team not entering any Elan ...

Raelly!? I have a copy of EDIT: WILLIAM's book (two actually, one as an investment, still in packaging), Obviously I have not read it carefully. :oops:
Last edited by elansprint71 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: