26r identities and other info

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:18 pm

welll lets put down our warm beer and lose the tweed jackets for a second and look at what is going on here ----I have one Expert who has just stated all shape craft car were aluminium and never fibreglass !Then we see a shapecraft car obviously crashed and built with a fibreglass body . CANT BE ???? It is my understanding only the fast back roof was aluminium grafted on a lotus body -chassis Wake up people you are being led down the garden path by people who ,it appears , wish to establish themselves as authorities to benefit themselves .Now all Im attempting to do here is bring this to your attention the fact that IF LOTUS DOESNT KNOW WHAT CARS WENT WHERE and with what equipment how the Hell can you accept the word of the loudest pontificator??? Then all nod in agreement and allow the untruth to become accepted fact ????? Let us exert a little scepticism and acccept more FACTS not fiction e
Last edited by twincamman on Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:30 pm

Ed
You appear to be incapable of reading or understanding what is being said. I clearly stated that Shapecraft only made the Aluminium roof which was sold by Surbiton motors. What I also implied and will now say is that they did not, as far as I am aware or many others knowledgable in things Lotus circles, manufacture fibre glass bodies for Elans, with or without faired in bumpers and lights.

The recent private mail I sent you was an attempt to end the relentless pile of crap you spout whenever the subject of 26R, Shapecraft or the price of an oil warning light on ebay is mentioned.

I do not intend to throw a wobbly and threaten never to darken the forums doors again as you have done several times. However I will offer my opinion if I wish and if you don't like or agree with it tough S**T.

I can also reveal where your 26R-S2-33 number originated by quoting from your reply to my private mail

"--I based my number on the chalked numbers on the rear fire wall ----r-2-33--the Ontario government needed more numbers and letters to licence the car - so I appeased the bureaucrats with 26Rs2 33"

I rest my case
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:34 pm

that s correct ----If you want a car on the road appease the beurocrats and never mind the truth just tell em what they want to hear --right Dave?????i MIGHT add this fact was never a secret .I posted photos of the numbers on rear fire wall earlier in this thread and stated the number was based on it--nice try though e YOU SEE THEY WOULD NOT ACCEPT 26 -2-33 -----NO LETTERS YOU SEE
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:15 pm

that's because it should read 26-S2-33 if it was a 26R series 2 car produced by the factory.
That has a letter and in the correct place.
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:12 am

you are a most patient man, Dave.
all the best and glad that he doesn't wear you down.
Gordon
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:44 am

Photograph of T E Blackadder's Elan at Croft in 1966 from John Bolster's book A Collecters Guide to Lotus Elan and Europa.The car looks to have the same frontal treatment as Eds.

regards

Andy
Attachments
T E Blackadder Elan0001.jpg and
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:48 am

Two Elans with 'Chinese eyes'. Neither a shapcraft! Top one in the Silverstone paddock in '89 which I machaniced and tested. Bottom one at Woodcote corner, Silverstone, an ex Ian Walker rally car that the owner at the time and I put into racing trim. Note the perspex window in the hard top which we beleive was to enable a better chance of seeing signposts!

Roy
'65 S2
Attachments
img002.1.jpg and
Copy of new-1.jpg and
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:35 pm

batfish wrote:Photograph of T E Blackadder's Elan at Croft in 1966 from John Bolster's book A Collecters Guide to Lotus Elan and Europa.The car looks to have the same frontal treatment as Eds.

regards

Andy

Also check out the photo at the bottom of P109, the Gabrielle Konig car; also similar to Ed's front end.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RIB » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:46 pm

Where do I begin, introduce myself, 26r identities or refer to Shapecraft?

I have been following the rather heated 26r/Shapecraft discussions for some time as a visitor, wondering whether to join in. I cannot resist any longer, I hope that I can contribute to a calmer debate.

I have owned what I am sure is the first Shapecraft Elan for over 30 years, chassis 26/0033 and body number 24. It has the aluminium Shapecraft roof, but this is lower than any of the other Shapecrafts that I have seen. It is the car shown in the original Surbiton Motors adverts and publicity photographs.

It also has a different front, mainly fibreglass, but with some aluminium from the bottom of the lights to where the bumper should be; it has no separate bumper. It is not the same shape as shown in the original Surbiton Motors adverts, or as raced in 1963-64 as shown in photographs in Autosport and from Ferret Fotographics. I am not surprised as it was raced and used in hill climbs until the early 1970s and I am sure that it had a few accidents and the front has not been repaired very well.

I have spent some time over the past 30 years trying to find out more information on Shapecraft Elans and I far as I am aware mine is the only one which had the modified front end; the openings for the lights on it when new looked nothing like Ed's Elan, but it looks a bit more like his now.

It has turned out to be a very long term restoration project, but I hope to spend some time on it before it is 50 years old, I am now well past that. I will post some photographs of it when new and as it is now when I can.

Ian B
RIB
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:53 pm

Welcome Ian !

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:55 pm

pic of the Jackie Oliver car
Attachments
joliver.jpg and
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:22 pm

bigvalvehead wrote:pic of the Jackie Oliver car

That is clearly the car I posted a link to the model of back on the last page; LM 1964 driven by P.Gele/R.Richard, when did Jackie Oliver drive this one David? I'm more used to another 26/R being described as "the Jackie Oliver car".
Is that a period photo or a more recent one? Who is the copyright holder, could you post a link?

As a general aside; we should be very wary about posting photos on the web which are not our own copyright; old photos are becoming big business and it is always safer to post a link rather than face the possibility of a court case. I've had a few images stolen over the last couple of years and I'm not alone; some snappers are (rightly) getting quite litigious. I think we need a BIG heads up sticky at the top of each section advising this. I would hate to see any member here (or even the forum) get into legal difficulties. After posting this I'll try to "report" the post to Jeff to make sure that he sees it.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:19 pm

Pete

This site might help: http://www.racingsportscars.com/type/re ... /Elan.html

Some useful info there. Now to match up the correct Elan to each race entry!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:20 pm

Hi Pete
No Idea where pic is from originally. Sent to me by a friend as part of my research for my book. If I knew or if any one knows I will gladly acknowledge the photographer.
cheers
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:38 pm

Hi Pete
The Jackie Oliver car that most people refer to is the car now owned by Michael Shryver
26-s2-* but A series 1 26R was also sold to Jackie Oliver on 12/5/64.

Not sure if the blue one is the Series 1 car as Jackie may just have been an additional driver.
and the car with the series 1 chassis no allocated to J.Oliver is still in existence.
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: