Dunlop Tires

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:57 am

In Australia the 3 tyres of choice currently seem to be in historic racing

Hoosier street TD - a dependable and competitive option in the dry a disisater in te wet. They dont last to many heat cycles either before they go hard
Toyo 888's - only avaiable in 185/60 profile in Australia so may not fit an Elan with standard guards but seem to be the new hot tyre
Yokohama 048R - available in 185 and 175/60 widths but only available in a medium compound in Australia and some people dont like them compared to the previous 32R as they have a softer sidewall that causes more tyre sideways deflection and clearance problems. But they seem to work OK when I look at lap times of cars running them.

I am still running 32R's as I got a couple of sets before they ran out but will have to make a choice soon out of the above.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elandoc » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:12 am

Hi Rohan,
The Toyo 888 - that's the V treaded one? (Proxes?) Have you tried the RA-1? (Block tread). I believe they have the same super soft compound. I didn't realise the 048 Rs came smaller than 14". I remember trying to source some in 13" a couple of years ago. I won't bother now, if you reckon they're a harder compound...
Cheers
Patrick
67 S3 DHC - The world's most expensive Elan has now been sold!
85 Ferrari 308 GTSi QV
76 MGB
07 Aston Martin V8 Vantage
81 Ducati 900 MHR
65 Elan S2 lightweight project under construction
73 Triumph X-75 Hurricane
elandoc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:52 am

Hi Patrick

Yes the Toyo 888's are the V treaded Proxes. I dont think the RA-1's are allowed in historics groups S or N so have not seen how they go. The Toyos should fit your wider guards so are a better bet than the Yoko 048R's by the sound of it

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paros » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:12 pm

I used AO32R tyres in super soft on 5.5 rims on an S4, wheel backspace was 108 mm using Minilites. No problems.
Then I went to ACB10 and they were a second a lap faster but wore out quickly - 6/21X13 on the same rims. No use in the wet of course, where the 32R was amazingly good.
I went to Avon slicks in 6/21X13 which were FF slicks and these were better than the ACB10 but again wore out!
Last year I went for the best yet - Yokohama slicks agion on the 5.5 rim 160/515X13 and immedidately a second a lap faster and a tyre life that must be 3 times that from the Avon slicks. Only problem was the breakaway was a bit sudden without the warning the Avon gave.
Now in the UK I race on AO48R in 175/60 on 5.5 rims. Good but they rip apart very easily - I find the soft too soft and the medium too hard! I can write off 2 of the 48R tyres in a race if I let the car slide.
My gut feel is that the handling of the Elamn will suffer with larger and heavier road tyres but I may have to go that way!
By the way I have the near newYokohama slicks and 5 unused wets for sale as I can't use them now!
Richard
paros
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: