26r Headlamps

PostPost by: gino1 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:49 am

Hi Johan,
Thanks for the nice comments.
I bought the kit from Pat Thomas at Kelvedon. He can supply you with the back plates (in Fibreglass) and the headlights (LHD) the rest is up to you. If you go on the gallery section and look at the 1967 Elan restoration you will see other photos of my restoration including the section where I explain how to fit the back plates with dimensions and also a close up photo.
Ciao
Gino
1964 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S3 Coupe
1968 Elan S4 Coupe
1969 Elan +2
1968 Lotus Seven S3
1982 Lotus Esprit S3
1961 Ford Anglia
2000 Lotus Elise Motorsport-56
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:11 pm

Davidb wrote:It must have been an optical delusion Peter. I took a good look at said car on the weekend and it has plexi covers over fixed lights 8)

Hey, David- how do you expect me to wind these guys up if you keep bringing facts into the discussion? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Do you think that the lamps were fitted into cut-down parts of the pivoting pods? That's what it looks like in the photo? "Normal" 26/R (here we go) fixed light fittings are not shaped like those ones. Also the lamp units seem to be lower than "normal", and fitted further forward.... and..... I've never seen the plexi-glass overlapping the bodywork like that either.

Apologies to those who are not on the forum under discussion. :wink:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:51 pm

Oh come on Pete, Jeff won't ban you if you mention another forum's name. :D
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:32 am

Sorry for being a spoil sport Peter :lol:

I think the best views are a recent front end view and photos taken of the car in 1971 by Ted Walker (Ferret Photo). On The Nostalgia Forum http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=110328
:roll:

I will grant you, the lights are different to other 26Rs. But then, the Gold Bugs were really the "Development mules" for the 26Rs. Certainly 'the car in question' has the small lights set into fibreglass bulkheads but the covers are slightly different to other series 1 26Rs.

ps Last night I bought a racing Elan---not a 26R but close. 8)
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:14 am

Davidb wrote:Sorry for being a spoil sport Peter :lol:

I think the best views are a recent front end view and photos taken of the car in 1971 by Ted Walker (Ferret Photo). On The Nostalgia Forum http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=110328
:roll:

I will grant you, the lights are different to other 26Rs. But then, the Gold Bugs were really the "Development mules" for the 26Rs. Certainly 'the car in question' has the small lights set into fibreglass bulkheads but the covers are slightly different to other series 1 26Rs.

Damn- now we'll have all these Plastic Car People crawling all over TNF :evil: :lol:

David, I'm absolutely sure that your new car is a 26/R BRM Shapecraft, you just have not come across the evidence yet! :twisted:
Seriously, if it is the one you showed me, I'm jealous. Post us some pictures in the Gallery.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:47 am

elansprint71 wrote:
Davidb wrote:Sorry for being a spoil sport Peter :lol:

Damn- now we'll have all these Plastic Car People crawling all over TNF :evil: :lol:

. Post us some pictures in the Gallery.

Why would anyone strart crawling anywhere when you can read about trunion polls, insurance costs, Jacking holes, elans lost, Forum trolls and other folks personal notes about nothing. You might even find some used rotoflex couplings...

Like I said, Ed's right. :(
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:38 pm

Hmmm, was it something I said?

No Peter, it's not the car I showed you-I decided that was just too much for a modified Elan with no real history.
The car I have bought is a '65 S2 with very good racing history in Canada in the sixties and was fitted with many 26R parts in period:- Roller spline drive shafts, suspension including Adjustable Armstrongs, plus a steel billet crank and other goodies. I found it a few miles from where I live.
Photos to phollow.
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:56 pm

Davidb wrote:Hmmm, was it something I said?

No, just an outbreak of puritanism. This is no place for being light-hearted. :evil:

Look forward to seeing the photos, PM some if you want. :lol:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:26 am

elansprint71 wrote:
Davidb wrote:Look forward to seeing the photos, PM some if you want. :lol:

Or, put them here for the rest of us. :D Always interested in old racing Elans.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: