Lotus Cortinas For Parts?

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:22 am

As Gary Anderson is playing moderator and seems to be bored with the thread I thought I would start a new one. :lol:

Apart from the obvious badges and LTC engine, just what are Lotus Cortina's good for. I think the scrappage scheme was designed with them in mind.

Been painting the Anderson Shelter this morning, think I will keep my Stella in there. (nothing to do with you Gary, unless a relative designed it?)

Looking forward to all your suggestions :roll:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:36 am

Nurse, nurse!
He's climbed out of bed again!!
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:33 am

Perhaps good for a Zetec conversion?
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:45 am

richgilb wrote:Perhaps good for a Zetec conversion?

I wouldn't want to prolong their use. These cars need to be removed.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Roy Gillett » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:47 am

richgilb wrote:Perhaps good for a Zetec conversion?

Don't they call that a Ford Mondeo?
:oops:
Roy
Roy Gillett
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:55 am

There is plenty of room for manoeuvre. There must be an engine in that bay somewhere?
Attachments
1966_Lotus_Cortina_Mk1_Engine_1.jpg and
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 am

Hi Alan
OK, I'm Stupid. tell me what I did and I'll apologize. I guess you got my message on starting a new thread.

So lets make a list of what a LoCort is and what we can salvage for the Elan besides the 3 yellow and green nose badges.

Starting at the front
AC air cleaner
air trunking
Twin cam engine and ancileries
gear box
guages and shift knob, choke and heater cables
diff

for other locorts or wanabe's:
the front and rear suspension plus the steering box.
early seats were nice too.

I'm sure there will be a burn pile but most of it will sell...

Gary

as far as what cortina's are good for, I think the make a nice 5.0 V8 storage units.

http://www.lotus-cortina.com/images/san ... ndiego.htm

or even hold a 4 cylinder reasonably well, 1967 factory hot rod
http://www.lotus-cortina.com/photos/wil ... dbolz2.htm

the duratec 4 and nissans seems a natural too, maybe a Honda S2000
http://www.cortina-mk1classifieds.com/f ... php?t=1161
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:55 am

As a former owner of two of these, this thread hurts :evil: . You can salvage the tach and speedo and change out their bezels for the chrome ones for early Elans. Don't forget the diffs, too.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:18 pm

I actually don't like Lotus Cortinas which is why I sort of hijacked Gary's quite sensible thread about spinners when Mark (elan in the forest) posted a picture showing a spinner decorated with a badge removed from a Lotus Cortina and he said that it happened quite often in the 70's when you could break a Lotus Cortina foir a couple of hundred quid and get 3 badges. I mentioned that I'd like to break any that are remaining, and also commented that I had best run for cover.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:33 pm

gjz30075 wrote:As a former owner of two of these, this thread hurts :evil: . You can salvage the tach and speedo and change out their bezels for the chrome ones for early Elans. Don't forget the diffs, too.

Hi Greg

The black bezels were used on the S1 Elan so there is a direct link. As far as the topic name goes, yes it hurts but all of those steel hulks missing twin cam engines (yanked out years ago) will all need a donor and they will end up being, Elans, Plus2's, and twin cam europas. These in a derelict state, are the new parts cars for the mk1 LoCorts and soon mk2 Twin Cam Cortina folk.
mk1 LoCorts are starting to close in on Elite money. If there are 1000 left I'd be real surprised.
Attachments
63elanB.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:41 pm

Spyder fan wrote:I actually don't like Lotus Cortinas which is why I sort of hijacked Gary's quite sensible thread about spinners when Mark (elan in the forest) posted a picture showing a spinner decorated with a badge removed from a Lotus Cortina and he said that it happened quite often in the 70's when you could break a Lotus Cortina foir a couple of hundred quid and get 3 badges. I mentioned that I'd like to break any that are remaining, and also commented that I had best run for cover.

qute, you slaughter my topic because Mark mentions the word Cortina. Theres a skit on the three stooges where the mere mention of "Niagra Falls" sends Moe into a fit, have you seen it, its a riot...

So why are you trollin around here for?

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:07 pm

Gary
I am here mostly because I like Elan's and there is always the good chance of having a good craic with likeminded bigots. Some of my posts are lighthearted and designed to cause offence in a lighthearted manner. Some people are greedy and take a larger amount of offence. theres no accounting for some peoples reactions to an innocent windup. Why did you edit your thread as if you were joining in the fun then?
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:57 pm

Spyder fan wrote:Gary
I am here mostly because I like Elan's and there is always the good chance of having a good craic with likeminded bigots. Some of my posts are lighthearted and designed to cause offence in a lighthearted manner. Some people are greedy and take a larger amount of offence. theres no accounting for some peoples reactions to an innocent windup. Why did you edit your thread as if you were joining in the fun then?

You were wound up talking "hate" and other words that don't fit with spinaz. How can folks just take a dump in the middle of a topic and leave it steaming for someone to kick. Just good fun you say, come on, you were just looking to start something. I remember who you are now, your the guy in the blue 1975 Chevy Malibu that was tailgating me for 20 miles on rt 128 north around Boston. You had quite a surprise when you found out that the diff in the Lotus Twin Cam powered Cortina mk1 Estate had some pin holes from years of sitting on the beach in Onset down by Cape Cod. I used to fill it every day I went up to Control Data Institute in Burlington. The look on your face was priceless when you used the washer/wipers, I dropped my beer I was laughing so hard. I'm
a bit slow and it took me a while but I finally put 2 and 2 together.

Last edited by garyeanderson on Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:25 pm

Damn!

Chevvy Malibu's are so girly and I was hoping to remain anonymous. Took me ages to clean that screen.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:29 am

That would be the inside of the screen. Right?

Spyder fan wrote:Damn!

Chevvy Malibu's are so girly and I was hoping to remain anonymous. Took me ages to clean that screen.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: