So what does your Elan/Plus2 look like today?

PostPost by: robertverhey » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:01 pm

Just lovin' the blue coupe. Mine's exact same but pre-resto. Must get on with it. Wonder how close we are in serial numbers, mine's 36/6858

Some more pics in gallery would be great, to inspire me to get stuck into it.

Robert
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:14 pm

Mine is 6746, so a bit earlier.

I'll post some photos soon. I wanted to take some better ones but I've been really busy with work this week. Still need to fit the sun visors, an overtaking mirror, etc., but otherwise it's done (until something goes wrong...).

I am undecided about the bottoms. I actually like them body colour, but I know it's not correct...
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:52 pm

Hollywood, A great looking Elan and I really like the blue and white choice. My Lotus Elan body & paint guy always paints the sills flat black. He says the idea is to make it disappear so that the natural lines of the body are all that are showing.
If I remember, Christian---Old English White--- had photo shopped a blue Coupe with a before and after picture. It really showed the improvement.
Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:46 pm

adigra wrote:I am undecided about the bottoms. I actually like them body colour, but I know it's not correct...

Your bottom should be body coloured but the Elan's should be black. :lol:

They need to be pretty much invisible as you admire the side view of the car.

Have faith, it will look better :D
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:57 pm

Beau and I got an early start this morning at about 5:40 to attend British Car day at the Larse Anderson Museum in Brookline Ma (also known as the Museum of Transportation), I rained pretty heavily yesterday afternoon so I didn't get out to get fuel, I checked the tank with the dip stick and it read just about an inch just before we left. That's pretty low and I figured there would be a station open and did find one about 12 miles into the trip, Good thing as when I checked again just before we got to the station, it may have had 1/2 an inch left and If I didn't get any fuel I was going to have to wait for something to open. There was a station open 24 hours across from the Quincy police station so I put in $20 and washed the screen and left. By 6:30 I was at the Museum and beau needed to stretch his sphincter muscles so let him go at it and bagged the results. Just before all this happens I hear some yell "Hey, how's my Grantura", My friiend Mike Buonanduci had arrived earlier than I did and was looking to see if I had sold my mk2a and of course I hadn't. We had good talk as we had some time to kill and things are pretty slow at 6:30am. The time seemed to pass quickly and got home about 4:30pm. I found my S2 dashboard that I had been looking for, I had forgotten that I had loaned it out and had mentioned my S1 dash to Bill and he said "Oh. I have that S2 dash you loaned me" So that will come back for some more pattern making.Yes I guess I am off topic again here, I guess I'll post the photos later over on the Left side of the pond topic. But I did take one of my S2 early there so I'll add it just so I am a little less off topic.

Gary
Attachments
early arrival.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:37 am

Not exactly today (Engine still being rebuilt....).

I'm under no illusions....

The girls will NOT all fit in the car....

AND....

They're not there for me :(

Peter :)
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:28 am

Getting ready for LMC 2012...
Rest assured, I 'll not be able remove all the dirt... And no, I am not going to polish the paint !
See you next weekend,
Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:03 pm

Christian

Simply brilliant! Looks superb in good running order with no prissy fettling.

Black bumpers would look good........................

Jumping into trench now....................................... :wink:
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:33 pm

It was moving day today, I moved the compressor two years ago and the air hose is not long enough to reach Tingles body on the back porch so I moved it to a new location to get some of the work done to get it ready for a cheap paint job. It was another warm day and no one was around so I dragged it off the back porch and rolled it on its dolly around the house, out into the road and it pushed along nicely until I had to go off-roading to get it into the side yard.

Gary
Attachments
moving day2.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:14 pm

It's here :D
Attachments
L1000965.JPG and
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:27 pm

Today, my elan looks like this. Repaint with Elise ardent red, base coat/clear coat. Put on about six miles to get used to it again after being off the road for about a year and a half :D . Still need carpet set, door seals and a top/hood. Of course, after the drive, I came up with a small punch list of fiddly things to re-sort, readjust, etc, as usual. I'm really stoked with the mod I did of spacing the pedals further apart. It's perfect. I also modded the fiberboard on the left side by cutting out the area between the re-bars and 'glassing in a bowl of sorts to allow my foot room to pass under the clutch pedal. Feels........normal :D

LOG 32 or bust!

Greg Z
Attachments
DSC03187.JPG and
DSC03185.JPG and
DSC03186.JPG and
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:35 am

Greg, your restoration looks great. A real nice job.
I want to know how you spaced the pedals. They look like they would do really well with my feet. You may have described it here before and I missed it. Did you bend the arms out near the top and them re-bent them back to straight near the foot part? That has been my thoughts in the past to spread them but did not know how I was going actually bend them without removing the whole box. Curious!!

Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:35 am

FINALLY, after two and a half years, a front clip I was able to purchase from Ross Robbins on this forum (many thanks Ross) my 66 S2 SE looks like this!!!! Now I'm hoping to have it ready for the LOG!

Also, I have seen Greg's car in the flesh and it looks terrific! I mean really terrific! Almost as terrific as mine! Oh and the rockers will be black.

And his pedals are perfect!
Attachments
Firewall fresh paint.jpg and
Looking through the grille opening
Nose fresh paint great resized.jpg and
I love this car. How long will it take before it's running on it's own?
Right Rear Fresh Paint Resized.jpg and
Fresh paint and the hard top just sitting on top to give a hint
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:37 am

Greg, you dog, you went for a ride without me! How's the tick? Gone?

It looks great and I mean great! Where did you find such a terrific painter?
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:14 am

mac5777 wrote: Did you bend the arms out near the top and them re-bent them back to straight near the foot part? That has been my thoughts in the past to spread them but did not know how I was going actually bend them without removing the whole box. Curious!!

Sarto

Sarto, the pedal assembly was removed for this job. With an oxy/acc torch and a helper (my son) I did exactly how you speculated. He did the heating and I did the bending. If I remember correctly, I carefully bent the brake first. The 'S' shape on the brake is 1/2" deviation from vertical and 'S' shape on the clutch is 1" deviation from vertical. These were just guess' on my part when bending. The bend on the brake is below the pushrod so as not to disturb that relationship.

Frank, the ticking is mostly gone. Kinda comes and goes and nowhere near as loud as before. Clutch still needs bleeding (I hope that's all it is) because engage/disengage is pretty close to the floor and the pedal is still pretty 'loose' during its first third of travel. The addition of carpeting will certainly make it worse.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: